RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Windows cannot access \\SERVER - all of a sudden

steveowens

WHS v1 HP EX470 working fine for months then.... last night cannot access the server via shares, WHS console or RDP. All lights on the device same as always. I powered it off manually (holding down power button) and restarted, seemed like a normal reboot, but still not accessible.

I have 4 drives in the device, 4 drives in a TRM4B eSata enclosure and 2 drives connected via USB. Really hope I can get access to the machine again, it would be a huge rebuild if it comes to that.

Any ideas on the best path to troubleshoot this? Hard since I have no access at this point.

Steve

ScreenShot003.jpg

WHS v1 HP EX470 working fine for months then.... last night cannot access the server via shares, WHS console or RDP. All lights on the device same as always. I powered it off manually (holding down power button) and restarted, seemed like a normal reboot, but still not accessible.

I have 4 drives in the device, 4 drives in a TRM4B eSata enclosure and 2 drives connected via USB. Really hope I can get access to the machine again, it would be a huge rebuild if it comes to that.

Any ideas on the best path to troubleshoot this? Hard since I have no access at this point.

Steve

A few questions:

1. Do the connectors read green on you clients?

2. How many switchs between your server and you clients

3. How many clients have you tried to access the server

4. Anything else not working on youur network?

If you have not already, try a different computer and as a last resort, try a crossover cable directly to you HP just to make sure it is not something else as it could be a network issue.

Steve

I'm with pcdoc; this sounds like a connectivity issue between your client computer and the server.

Can the client computer access other computers on the network;

Can the client computer surf the internet?

Can you ping the server?

Do you have a crossover network cable to connect you cilent directly to the server?

I had this happen to me on my 485 a few months ago. I Experienced the symptoms you have explained. Then the next day I got failed backup notices and could no longer connect to the server. My connector icon was deactivated (grayed out). It turned out that the system hard drive had failed.