RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Backup Volume Question

Commodore

I understand that to use the built in WHS2011 backup, the volumes to be backed-up must be 2TB or smaller. How about the backup destination drive; can I have a 3TB drive formatted as a single 3TB volume as the backup target?

My preference would be an external 3TB USB3 drive. Has anyone tried this?

From what I understand, the destination can be as large as you want it to be. In your case, you would have a 2TB and 1 TB folder inside that 3TB drive. The key is the source can be no larger than 2TB.

Guest no-control

The target drive can be any size so long as it isn't added via the console. So you can backup whatever Drives you want to the target as long as there is sufficient space.

Server 2011

I also have backup questions, my server backup drive is filling up and I cannot understand why.

Question 1. Why is it filling the drive so quickly, I am not adding data that would use this additional amount?

Question 2. How can I remove old backups? If there are settings on how long they are stored, I can’t find them.

Thanks SmellyDog69

How did you add a 3TB drive to WHS v1, or what client is it attached to? Some confiuration info would be helpful.

How did you add a 3TB drive to WHS v1, or what client is it attached to? Some confiuration info would be helpful.

I have about 6 TB of data but 3 of that is Video.. the other 3TB sits on 3 drives... my understanding is that you can only back up a max of 2TB on 2011.. is that true?