RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

How to find Disk Health issues

RumJungle

Hello Group!

I've been running WHS since it has been released and have been plagued with an unhealthy disk message in the "Home Network" health notification. I goto to server storage, right click on the "unhealthy" driver and invoke repair. All returns fine and dandy after the repair boot.

I've received on all of my servers. The first time I though the drive was failing, but after a while, it was par. This would occur about twice per month.

I'm a software developer and very comfortable around the server using the console or remote desktop. I also run MailEnable, DNS, VSS and a few family web sites on this server. It's a HP MediaSmart Ex490. Before the 490, I did run a homebuilt and had the same problems.

Now for the questions:

1. How do you find out what file or what has caused the disk error?
  2. Does this really indicate that the disk is failing or is it some open file hanging out somewhere?

Thanks for your help and the podcast rocks - keep up the good work!

Monte---

Hello Group,

This problem has occurred again. I thought I could check the server logs (link) and maybe find the culprit. The logs did not yield much information on what caused the error. :'-(

Maybe I should restructure the question; What plugin/add in and or file monitoring utility should I use to find out what is causing the error?

I had replaced the disk with another with no success. I'll try other stuff as well. I'll also post my successor failures here as well.

Again, thanks for your help!

Monte--

The dredded fault:

ss1.png

You can try the AdminiMe addin or WHS SMART addin.

http://www.asoft.be/...dminimewhs.html

http://www.dojonorth...erverSMART.aspx

I suggest you stay away from the adminime addin. I had to uninstall it due to problems it created on my server. I know several others here had to remove it as well (pcdoc for instance).

Hello Group!

I've been running WHS since it has been released and have been plagued with an unhealthy disk message in the "Home Network" health notification. I goto to server storage, right click on the "unhealthy" driver and invoke repair. All returns fine and dandy after the repair boot.

I've received on all of my servers. The first time I though the drive was failing, but after a while, it was par. This would occur about twice per month.

I'm a software developer and very comfortable around the server using the console or remote desktop. I also run MailEnable, DNS, VSS and a few family web sites on this server. It's a HP MediaSmart Ex490. Before the 490, I did run a homebuilt and had the same problems.

Now for the questions:

1. How do you find out what file or what has caused the disk error?
  2. Does this really indicate that the disk is failing or is it some open file hanging out somewhere?

Thanks for your help and the podcast rocks - keep up the good work!

Monte---

You are not alone. I get this as well, and I recall reading of others who've had it. I've put it down to some indexing issue with DEmigrator.exe. A repair seems to always fix it. To monitor my drives for real health issues I've recently started using the beta of StableBit Scanner. So far so good, but it is beta.....