RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Installing an Intel 120g SSD

JDLucas

I will be installing an Intel SSDSA2MH120G2k5 2.5" 120GB SSD on my Desktop Workstation and replaceing the original platter drive. I will also be upgrading the memory from 4GB to 8GB to allow better use of Photoshop and Lightroom image file editing. I'm using a HP EX475 Homeserver and have been backing up the workstation.

Can it be that simple as to simply replace the OS drive and do a computer restore from the Homeserver? Or are there other tips and tricks I must do before installing the SSD?

PS...Love the BYOB podcast and all the great topics :)

Edited by JDLucas

How large was the old spindle drive?

The old drive is a 750GB but only using 30GB for the OS and programs.

This issue came up on the podcast a couple of weeks ago and I think the concensus was the drives need to be the same size. I could be wrong but it seems if you were only using thirty gigs from the old drive for the OS and that was a separate partition, the restore back should be okay. If the old drive was a single volume, then it's a no-go.

You will be amazed how fast the OS will install on an SSD drive especially if you do it from a thumb drive. 10 minutes tops. If it were me, I'd do that and use the built-in Windows imaging tool in Windows 7 to create the backup image and store that for any future restore.

This issue came up on the podcast a couple of weeks ago and I think the concensus was the drives need to be the same size. I could be wrong but it seems if you were only using thirty gigs from the old drive for the OS and that was a separate partition, the restore back should be okay. If the old drive was a single volume, then it's a no-go.

You will be amazed how fast the OS will install on an SSD drive especially if you do it from a thumb drive. 10 minutes tops. If it were me, I'd do that and use the built-in Windows imaging tool in Windows 7 to create the backup image and store that for any future restore.

I can do a fresh Windows 7 install from DVD or USB thumb drive to the new SSD drive. Then, using the Windows imaging tool on the newly installed SSD drive, would I be able to restore from a previously created Windows backup image from the original hard drive?

Can't try this until my SSD arrives from Newegg, I'll repost when and if I am able to do the install. <_<

Yes, you should be able to do as you suggested providing the first image is not too large.

I will be installing an Intel SSDSA2MH120G2k5 2.5" 120GB SSD on my Desktop Workstation and replaceing the original platter drive. I will also be upgrading the memory from 4GB to 8GB to allow better use of Photoshop and Lightroom image file editing. I'm using a HP EX475 Homeserver and have been backing up the workstation.

Can it be that simple as to simply replace the OS drive and do a computer restore from the Homeserver? Or are there other tips and tricks I must do before installing the SSD?

PS...Love the BYOB podcast and all the great topics :)

You will not be able to restore an image to a smaller drive from WHS. IF you are going to attempt this you will have to clean out the drive, reduce the parttion to 120g, back it up and then you can restore. Your best bet is a clean install but you are not up for that, use something like Acronis. The paid version has a cloning feature, but the trial verions has a backup and restore and it "will" allow a restore to a smaller drive.

I think Dave used acronis to do the same thing and it didn't go well. I believe he was going to begin a fresh install. There is a thread on this here somewhere.

I think Dave used acronis to do the same thing and it didn't go well. I believe he was going to begin a fresh install. There is a thread on this here somewhere.

Thanks, I'm checking out a demo version of Acronis Disk Director 11 now. It appears that a fresh install of Windows 7 might be the sure way to go, but I never do anything easy <_<

I tried the restore from whs, to replace/upgrade a drive and had no problems(of course to the same pc).

But as mentitioned in one of the podcasts here, trim and other performance/wear optimizations will not exist after the reimaging form your whs; so you will have to do that manually, if you wish to have them enabled; which is recommend to have.