RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

WHS 2011 with DE 1.0

steve.h

Okay, so I am a little behind on the podcast, but I am not hearing you guys talking about running WHS 1 as a NAS box for WHS 2011. Okay 1 250GB drive with WHS 1. Install 2 more drives for your storage pool. Remove the 2nd partition from disk one from the storage pool. Create a VM on the 2nd partition and install WHS 2011. Create a link so WHS 2011 saves data to storage pool on WHS 1.0. Just an idea.

Now you get all the cool stuff from WHS 2011, but you still have your 1.0 DE.

Steve h.

Edited by steve.h

Yes a good idea but you would then be running WHS v. 1 in a virtual machine right, and 2011 as main system? The only way the virtual machine and the the WHS 2011 will have the storage connected would be over a virtual network on the computer right? If so can you add that type of storage don't know if that is possible or not. If it is possible it would seam like a good idea to me.

I think he is saying WHS v1 will be the main system and WHS2011 will be the VM. This way the WHS2011 VM is using the underlying v1 DE functions.

So, first question which needs to be answered is can you run the 64bit WHS2011 OS as a VM on the 32bit WHSv1? I am thinking you can't, someone correct me if I am wrong please. If I am right, then this will not work. If I am wrong, there will be other issues to deal with. But no need to address those until the 32bit/64bit question is answered.

Guess that would be a better solution but as you guessed you can not run a 64bit VM on a 32 bit OS, so that would not work. :(

Guest no-control

Yes, you can run a 64 bit guest OS on a 32 bit host machine provided you use a VM client that will allow you to do that. VMLite does as does VirtualBox.

I'm a little confused as to what the OP was trying to do but basically he wants to run a vanilla WHS v1 install and then use a VM client to run a WHS2011 VM. All to keep DE, but gain (I'm assuming) the streaming/web access to using a mapped drive. I'll assume this would work, as I'm not willing to test it. Keeping the DE is always going to be a compromise since the platform has been abandoned. I would think simpler way would be to install a Hypervisor then run 2 VMs of each o/s. You can also run WHSv1 and use a W7 box/VM to stream out the media.

Kind of a tall order to fill. Personally if DE is a requirement I would use WHS and look for plug-ins that replicate the WHS2011 features you're looking for.

Okay, so I am a little behind on the podcast, but I am not hearing you guys talking about running WHS 1 as a NAS box for WHS 2011. Okay 1 250GB drive with WHS 1. Install 2 more drives for your storage pool. Remove the 2nd partition from disk one from the storage pool. Create a VM on the 2nd partition and install WHS 2011. Create a link so WHS 2011 saves data to storage pool on WHS 1.0. Just an idea.

Now you get all the cool stuff from WHS 2011, but you still have your 1.0 DE.

Steve h.

well, that most definitely puts it out of the "even Aunt Mildred can run this thing" category.

well, that most definitely puts it out of the "even Aunt Mildred can run this thing" category.

Mind you, judging from the posts on this forum, whs 2011 has been out of that category for quite a long time. People around here are somewhat computer savvy, and even they can't figure out how to manage storage on this box on their own.

Guest no-control

People around here are somewhat computer savvy, and even they can't figure out how to manage storage on this box on their own.

This statement is false if you're "computer savvy" and cannot figure out how to manage storage on WHS2011 you need to stop using computers altogether. WHS2011 works like every other windows product out there. The new console just makes it more simple. So either you're not savvy or you haven't used the product.

This statement is false if you're "computer savvy" and cannot figure out how to manage storage on WHS2011 you need to stop using computers altogether. WHS2011 works like every other windows product out there. The new console just makes it more simple. So either you're not savvy or you haven't used the product.

That's fair enough. I'm sure ppl here can figure it out; I think we're just debating the various options to determine which one(s) are best for us personally.

That's fair enough. I'm sure ppl here can figure it out; I think we're just debating the various options to determine which one(s) are best for us personally.

Yes well, I did mention the magic words "on their own" in my post..

There are dozens of posts in the forums about a thing that used to be simple enough that i told my girlfriend over the phone to install the new drives on my WHSv1 some time ago. And her computer usage limits to reading email, fiddling about in facebook and talking in irc.

Now you go tell me your spouses can go expanding storage on WHSv2 on a say RAID5 without instructions. WHSv2 is so far off the home-category, i don't even know why it carries the word.

And btw, yes i've used the RC.

Edited by kermi