RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

How do you backup a share that is larger than your largest drive?

byronomo

Just curious if anyone has any tips on the best way to backup a share that is larger than my largest drive (2TB).

Basically, I'd like to backup my DVD library. I have 4x2TB available, but my DVD libary is 3 or 4TB. If I "Split" it somehow (ex. A-H, I-Z) I'm thinking that it will be cumbersome to maintain because:

1)The 2 groupings would either be "unbalanced" or may become so as I add titles.

2)My DVDs are in a shared folder called "DVD Libray". To split that library up would further require me to identify hundreds of subdirectories individually for backup and that in subsequent backups i'd have to discretely remember to add any new directories (titles) added since the previous backup.

Alternately, I was thinking that perhaps I should try to re-purpose an old XP box that I have that's not being used in someway that allowed spanning across disks and just SyncToy my DVD library to that.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Here are some thoughts. You can get one on those multi-drive boxes (like the drobo) and sync/backup to that. You can add some drives in a RAID configuration and sync/backup to that. Or start building your WHS 2011 server in separate box and setup a RAID using the motherboard controllers and store you movies there. At least you will have redundancy for the media. Not exactly a backup but protected never the less and it will be cheaper than trying to back it up to a separate device in the long run.

Just curious if anyone has any tips on the best way to backup a share that is larger than my largest drive (2TB).

Basically, I'd like to backup my DVD library. I have 4x2TB available, but my DVD libary is 3 or 4TB. If I "Split" it somehow (ex. A-H, I-Z) I'm thinking that it will be cumbersome to maintain because:

1)The 2 groupings would either be "unbalanced" or may become so as I add titles.

2)My DVDs are in a shared folder called "DVD Libray". To split that library up would further require me to identify hundreds of subdirectories individually for backup and that in subsequent backups i'd have to discretely remember to add any new directories (titles) added since the previous backup.

Alternately, I was thinking that perhaps I should try to re-purpose an old XP box that I have that's not being used in someway that allowed spanning across disks and just SyncToy my DVD library to that.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Are you saying you have a total of 8 TB and the DVD Library uses 3 - 4 TB of the 8?

Are you saying you have a total of 8 TB and the DVD Library uses 3 - 4 TB of the 8?

Sorry, I've been unclear. I have 12+TB on the Server + 4X2TB (8TB) via USB Enclosure, currently configured as Backup Drives (Roughly 20TB total if you combine all). DVD Library is 3+TB and has File Duplication enabled. Of the 12.28TB in the pool, there is only 1.7TB free (and dropping).

Once I determine the best solution by which to back up the DVD Rips, I think I will be comfortable in turning off duplication and regaining some precious space.

Sorry, I've been unclear. I have 12+TB on the Server + 4X2TB (8TB) via USB Enclosure, currently configured as Backup Drives (Roughly 20TB total if you combine all). DVD Library is 3+TB and has File Duplication enabled. Of the 12.28TB in the pool, there is only 1.7TB free (and dropping).

Once I determine the best solution by which to back up the DVD Rips, I think I will be comfortable in turning off duplication and regaining some precious space.

I don't use FD at all. I have an external eSATA box that I RoboCopy all my data to every night. I also RoboCopy it to an external docked drive that I swap with another one I keep at work (offsite storage). This keeps the maximum space available inside my WHS box and avoids the issue of a catrostrophic failure taking out my whole WHS and me losing everything.

I don't use FD at all. I have an external eSATA box that I RoboCopy all my data to every night. I also RoboCopy it to an external docked drive that I swap with another one I keep at work (offsite storage). This keeps the maximum space available inside my WHS box and avoids the issue of a catrostrophic failure taking out my whole WHS and me losing everything.

This is my exact dilemma. I would like to use something like RoboCopy or SyncToy to backup to my USB enclosure, but I don't know of a "clean" way to backup the 3+TB to 4x2TB Drives.