RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Partitioning a HDD

John H

My C drive partition, 20GB on my WHS, EX470, is running out of space. Not sure why, but it could be all the Windows updates. Everything I install goes to the D partition, which includes the other drives through drive extender.

Anyways, I would like some suggestions on software to resize my partion. I used to use partition Magic before Symantec bought them.

Thanks

What are you installing? Check and see if you have something logging errors that is consuming all your system drive partition.

What are you installing? Check and see if you have something logging errors that is consuming all your system drive partition.

Had a similar problem, and it turns out the virus protection I had installed was logging to the C:\. By default, SQL Server Express will also install itelf on C:\.

Try running a tool like JDiskReport to see why your disk is filling up. Having gone through the same issue, I would suggest freeing up disk space before trying to enlarge the partition. My attempts to do the latter resulted in an inoperable WHS.

My C drive partition, 20GB on my WHS, EX470, is running out of space. Not sure why, but it could be all the Windows updates. Everything I install goes to the D partition, which includes the other drives through drive extender.

Anyways, I would like some suggestions on software to resize my partion. I used to use partition Magic before Symantec bought them.

Thanks

Have you looked at EASUS.com?

Had a similar problem, and it turns out the virus protection I had installed was logging to the C:\. By default, SQL Server Express will also install itelf on C:\.

Try running a tool like JDiskReport to see why your disk is filling up. Having gone through the same issue, I would suggest freeing up disk space before trying to enlarge the partition. My attempts to do the latter resulted in an inoperable WHS.

I haven't heard of JDiskReport, but I've used SpaceMonger. I assume they do similar things ?

I use Treesize on my personal PC's. Haven't tried it on the WHS yet though, at least I don't think so.

Not to hi-jack the thread, but my EX495 has the same problem. When the disk is full, it won't webserve, nor can I connect via the interface. I have to remote access the server. The shared files are always available. This problem has been going on for the last 6 months or so. It seems as if the upgrades have consumed more space than there is. I've gone file by file and nothing seems out of the ordinary other than a crap load of updates from Windows. I'm thinking about reformatting c drive, adding a new system drive, or using one of the above programs to see if there is something taking space. Any installs are to the d drive only.

Update: I went back and checked the error/reporting logs and cleared them - that gained back 10 gb. Looks like I'm back in business. That has the console back working and most of the features are available. The photo viewer is still showing errors. I'm defragging C drive then I will do an os update. Maybe that will correct it.

signed

frustrated ex495 owner

at least my frank-inbuilt system worked even though it was loud and big.

Edited by efmrrt

• 2 years later...

I have no idea what operation system your computer run, if it runs with win7, win8 or vista, congratulations, you

dont have to download any sotware to assist you (win7 and win8 can do the resize work by itself), but if not, you may need a

Assistant took like AOMEI Partition Assistant, you are supposed to read this tutorials

carefully befor you take it into action.

By the way, if you dont know how to use the built-in Disk Mangement you can search it on the web, or you can

still use the assistant tool to work it out.(say, win7,win8 and vista is also available for this software).

Edited by yyychaser