RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Server reinstall - WHS gone fishing. HELP!

hewisond

OK - so with some luck I desperately hope someone can help...

I had to do a server recovery last night.. replaced system disk... all done now except I get about 20 preserver errors, the denigrator(dammit i forget the name now - but you know what i mean) wont start and whilst my shares are visible, there's no data at all inside them...

Ive checked the disks, the raw data still exists..

Any ideas?

Or should i just move to WHS2011? if i do that, how do i transfer my data over?

Please help! sob sob...

It sounds as if you have other problems. I assume you did a full re-install (server re-installation) plus all the patches? If you did and you are getting those errors it is probably not a good thing. I would get my data off this device as soon as possible. As for going to 2011, that is a tough call and my answer will depend on how much data you have. Remember is a RC not a RTM release yet however I know that it will not touch your data even if you have to re-isntall a new version on top of the RC. That said, priorty one is to protect you data. How much data are we talking about? If you have less than 4T, I would go with building a small box and go with 2011. Attach the old drives to a clent computer and start copying them to the new serever.

You wrote that you replaced the system disk and did a Server Recovery. For this to work properly, you must have ALL the Shares duplicated before you replace the system drive because there is data on the D: partition of that system drive that is lost if you replace the system drive. The server Recovery will reinstall the OS and link to the existing Shares.

This is why ALL shares must be duplicated so that any data (excluding PC backups if they are on the d: partition of the system drive) still exist, or you will get, filling files errors.

Also, if the PC backups were on the D: partition of the system drive, you would loose them unless you used a program addin like BDBB to copy they to an other drive.

Also, you need to uninstall the connector on the PC because it is the latest version, and the Server Recovery is expecting an earlier version.

Can you put back the original system drive back into your server and see if things come back to normal ?

It sounds as if you have other problems. I assume you did a full re-install (server re-installation) plus all the patches? If you did and you are getting those errors it is probably not a good thing. I would get my data off this device as soon as possible. As for going to 2011, that is a tough call and my answer will depend on how much data you have. Remember is a RC not a RTM release yet however I know that it will not touch your data even if you have to re-isntall a new version on top of the RC. That said, priorty one is to protect you data. How much data are we talking about? If you have less than 4T, I would go with building a small box and go with 2011. Attach the old drives to a clent computer and start copying them to the new serever.

Hey PCDoc,

Yes i did the full reinstall, which Ive had to do before without any issues... I have just under 4T - 2 of that is media.

IN the end, I decided to move to 2011 - still transferring the data.. but so far so good... once its all over, Ill make sure proper backs ups are set up.

I appreciate the advice..

Thanks

Dave

You wrote that you replaced the system disk and did a Server Recovery. For this to work properly, you must have ALL the Shares duplicated before you replace the system drive because there is data on the D: partition of that system drive that is lost if you replace the system drive. The server Recovery will reinstall the OS and link to the existing Shares.

This is why ALL shares must be duplicated so that any data (excluding PC backups if they are on the d: partition of the system drive) still exist, or you will get, filling files errors.

Also, if the PC backups were on the D: partition of the system drive, you would loose them unless you used a program addin like BDBB to copy they to an other drive.

Also, you need to uninstall the connector on the PC because it is the latest version, and the Server Recovery is expecting an earlier version.

Can you put back the original system drive back into your server and see if things come back to normal ?

Hey Diehard,

thanks for the reply! I had all but one share duplicated.. that was video... that would explain it not working... I decided in the end to try 2011, still transferring the data over.. with back ups configured and wuala online, I hope all will be fine.. i can always revert back anyway...

Awesome show by the way :)