RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Can not connect to my shared folders!!

vinylfreak

Okay, this is really weird! I came home tonight and fired up my Media Center to play some music and I could not connect to my Music folder on my WHS ver.1.

I can access the console with no problems. I can remote desktop into my server no problems. ( I do get that annoying certificate revocation notice!! Thanks SP1!!) When I go to access my shared folders it says I don't have permissions. WTF!

This is what Ive done so far....Reinstalled the Connector SW. (several times) / restored my Linksys 610n to its factory defaults and changed my Cmos battery on my WHS.

Anyone have any idea what might be going on. This is driving me nuts!

I also deleted my user acct. and set it back up. Did nothing.

Please point me in the right direction. Thanks!

I am going through Serious Media Withdrawal. :(

It is probably not the connector software. Is this on the default media directory? If so, kill all the permissions on that folder and reset them again. If it is not, then create a new folder and copy you stuff over to the new location.

PS: (it is a sign...)

It is probably not the connector software. Is this on the default media directory? If so, kill all the permissions on that folder and reset them again. If it is not, then create a new folder and copy you stuff over to the new location.

PS: (it is a sign...)

Here is some more info.

When I woke up this morning I tried one of the other client pcs in the house and it saw the shared folders just find. Media Center on that other client pc also played all media files just fine.

Still when I go to my HTPC client in my Family Room when I click on the Shared Folders shortcut on my desktop this is what I see.

I get an error box that says my server is not available and that I do not have permissions to access it? I still have the Green WHS icon in my taskbar stating every thing is fine, I can still connect to the WHS console from this client, I can still RDP into my WHS from this client. When I try to run the Media Center Connector it crashes and says the server cannot be accessed. The Client Connector however completes with not a problem. It locates the server, installs the sw , sets up backups and puts the Shared Folders shortcut on my desktop. Then of course it just Crashes every time I double click on it. :blink:

@pcdoc It is not just the media directories I cannot access, It is All Shared Folders. How would I go about killing the permissions on the folders and resetting them. Do I do this through the WHS console??

Are you accessing the shares on the HTPC as a Guest ? Is the Guest account enabled ?

No I'm accessing the shares through my own named user acct. This is how Ive been set up for years. My Guest account is disabled.

Just did a complete reinstall of the OS on my HTPC Client (7 64bit Ultimate). Problem is still there. O_o WTF!! thought I narrowed it down to the Client side. Now what the Hell do I do?????

Just did a complete reinstall of the OS on my HTPC Client (7 64bit Ultimate). Problem is still there. O_o WTF!! thought I narrowed it down to the Client side. Now what the Hell do I do?????

Are you able to map a drive letter on the client PC for the shared music folder (after entering/remembering credentials)?

Wow! Check things this morning, and every thing seems to be working fine!? Not really sure what happened over night but things seem to be back to normal.

My HTPC was do for a clean install any how. Now I just have to reconfigure every thing.

Thanks for everyone's input.