RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

My first SSD installed in htpc

Dave

I've just installed and configured my first SSD drive and I must have done something goofy because I don't see much of an improvement.

Here is the drive: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820139162

Granted, it's an inexpensive drive but was a great price on sale and with rebates. It looked perfect for my TivoCenter. Here is the link to the parts list of the build.

Converting a Tivo Series 1 into a Windows Media Center

I used Acronis to take my Win7 build from a 500Gig drive and zap it over to the 30 gig SSD. Booted into Windows, changed the registry for AHCI, changed bios and rebooted with the SSD. I then did all the tweaks from BYOB show 16 like moving the temp directories, page file, etc.

Boot time to Media Center on the spindle drive was 1 Minute 8 Seconds. Boot time with the SSD is 1 Minute 3 Seconds. I'm only using Media Center on the box so have not tested any other apps nor have I done any speed tests like ATTO. Could I have done something wrong with Acronis or something? I just don't feel the benefit. I knew it wouldn't boot in 30 seconds but I was hoping to get it under a minute into a use-able Media Center.

Guest no-control

How much of the time is BIOS vs windows? How much loads on start up?

It's quite possible you're not limited by the drive but rather the CPU.

Clean install the reg hack never worked right for me.

My HTPC (sig) only takes about 20-25 seconds to boot after the BIOS hands off to windows

Hmmmm, that's an interesting one...try taking a look at:

1) you're using the MS AHCI driver for your SSD

2) look at any services you have installed. Special software? 1 min+ is a long time, even for an ATOM. You may have a service that is starting up and hanging the PC...

It was nice to look at your original post. I had totally forgotten you did this. I liked the ingenuity in the build.

I've finally had a chance to take a look at it after reading your posts. The HTPC is not running much. Mobile Mouse and MyMovies. Security Essentials and Bonjour(for the iPad). Since boot takes roughly the same time on the spindles I looked at the drivers for each. disk.sys and partmgr.sys are the drivers on both the spindle drive and the SSD. There is also an entry under drivers for Acronis, snapman.sys.

Bios doesn't take long at all. After reading your comments I'm now thinking that the SSD doesn't have the right driver. What should it be? Thanks for your help guys.

I've finally had a chance to take a look at it after reading your posts. The HTPC is not running much. Mobile Mouse and MyMovies. Security Essentials and Bonjour(for the iPad). Since boot takes roughly the same time on the spindles I looked at the drivers for each. disk.sys and partmgr.sys are the drivers on both the spindle drive and the SSD. There is also an entry under drivers for Acronis, snapman.sys.

Bios doesn't take long at all. After reading your comments I'm now thinking that the SSD doesn't have the right driver. What should it be? Thanks for your help guys.

I'm using an OCZ Vertex in both by HTPC and Main PC and both boot up in less that 30 seconds. My HTPC has pretty much the same software as yours and shuts down / boots up in around 50 - 55 seconds. I didn't need to install any drivers when I installed the new drives but I did a clean install. Not sure but maybe using Acronis caused the issue as the SSD wasn't formatted correctly.

Guest no-control

Agreed I think somethings not right with the image. I would do a fresh install and see how it responds to boot then. If it's still a dog its a hardware issue, if it boot as expected then you know its either the image, the hack, or just your setup.

Try re-installing the latest Intel Chipset drivers, that should replace any SATA drivers if then need updating...

Not the results I expected Dave. I hoover around 23 seconds to media center. I have not had a problme with Reg hack for activating AHCI however that does not mean you image is sound. One thing I am concerned about is that you are loading a bunch of stuff (mymovies, AV, Acroni, etc.) that you may be limited by your CPU or I/O of your motherboard and I am guessing that you only have 2 Gigs on your atom. That drive should be 25-30% faster than an average HD so you should have seen at least that much of a gain. I would definetly do a benchmark once the system is up and see if the drive I/O is good. If it is, time for an upgrade. You may not even taping the max of your spindle drive if your CPU/MB is holding it back.

It has 4 gig on it but it's running Win7x86. I can take the MM management off. I suppose I don't need that, just the Media Center portion. Should have done that long ago I guess. Acronis could also be removed since I'm done with it. I have read that SSD's improve netbook boot times so I was looking for the same on this. Otherwise, I'll have to find some time to reload it. Shouldn't be a big issue just a time factor.

It has 4 gig on it but it's running Win7x86. I can take the MM management off. I suppose I don't need that, just the Media Center portion. Should have done that long ago I guess. Acronis could also be removed since I'm done with it. I have read that SSD's improve netbook boot times so I was looking for the same on this. Otherwise, I'll have to find some time to reload it. Shouldn't be a big issue just a time factor.

Acronis does go through some boot up gyrations, and you are right they do typically speed up netbooks however netbooks are usually just a basic OS. I must admit I was surprised that you did not see a huge gain. When I did my laptop, there performnace at least doubled. If you want to try a different drive, I have a couple of Gen 1 120 gig OCZ Vertex with the Indilynx controller that you are welcome to try and see if there is a difference or if changes your results. Let me know.