RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

WDidle3 question

ikon

I heard diehard talking about wdidle3 on the podcast recently and it made me wonder about my WD greens.

1) is the SMART parameter I should look at called 'Load/Unload Cycle Count'?

2) Should I run it? Here are the particulars:

I have a WD15EARS-00Z5B1 with 130,000 LUCCs in 3700 Power On Hours

I have a WD10EADS-00M2B0 with 330,000 LUCCs in 30,000 Power On Hours

I'm thinking this is kinda high. Does anyone know if WDidle3 will work on these drives? According to the WD website:

This utility is designed to upgrade the firmware of the following hard drives: WD1000FYPS-01ZKB0, WD7500AYPS-01ZKB0, WD7501AYPS-01ZKB0. CAUTION: Do not attempt to run this software on any hard drives other than what is listed above

I realize the answer might seem obvious, but all too often what the manufacturer says is contradicted by people who check and find out the manufacturer is wrong.

It is wrong. I've run it on my WD20EARS. No problems. And yes, it will work on EADS. I have one of those, too.

thanks so much dvn. Can I run it on the drives while they're in the pool? While the WHS is running?

No. Let me tell you how it did it. I have a MSS so I needed to hook the drives up to my desktop. I used my Thermaltake BlacX toaster for this. Easier for me. I copied wdidle3.exe to a flash drive, booted my desktop to a command line with UBCD4Windows (chose the boot to command line option at the UBCD4Win menu), and ran wdidle from there.

Check this post for the command syntax. Took me a few tries before I figured it out. Supposedly, the /d switch doesn't completely disable idle3, but it's something like 60 minutes. That's how mine are set and I figure that's way better than what it was.

No. Let me tell you how it did it. I have a MSS so I needed to hook the drives up to my desktop. I used my Thermaltake BlacX toaster for this. Easier for me. I copied wdidle3.exe to a flash drive, booted my desktop to a command line with UBCD4Windows (chose the boot to command line option at the UBCD4Win menu), and ran wdidle from there.

Check this post for the command syntax. Took me a few tries before I figured it out. Supposedly, the /d switch doesn't completely disable idle3, but it's something like 60 minutes. That's how mine are set and I figure that's way better than what it was.

OMG I am sooo old. It was me who responded to your last post about wdidle. Wonder why it didn't come up when I did a search? Sheesh! :unsure: