RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

File Transfer Issue

JDog04

Newbie here needs some help again.

I have an old HP EX475 upgraded to version 3.0 a few months ago and upgraded RAM to 2GB. Ever since I've been having problems getting large files onto the server unless it was part of a restore from external backup drives. Whether directly via the USB ports (jumpdrive) or via another PC (Vista or Windows 7), file transfer using windows explorer is a not working properly. I usually transfer large video files ranging from 100MB to 1GB. The transfer usually begins, slows, and then stops with intermitted error messages or no error message. Transferring multiple files results in errors, with the transferred files showing up on the server but with 0 KB file size.

I cannot tell if there is a problem with my home network (I have a D-Link DIR-855 and a D-Link DIR-300 that I use just as a switch and never made any configuration changes to the default settings of the DIR-855). I am also running into problems playing my home videos from my HP Mediasmart Connect.

I have the problem with Twonky Media on or off.

Also concerning is that at times the server is unresponsive, either in the console mode or when connecting directly via remote desktop. When this happens the CPU usage is low (0-5%).

I've run the check disk and it has not turned up any errors.

One peculiar thing is that in console mode, it shows that I have more free drive space than I should with folder duplication 'on'.

I need some help troubleshooting this...don't know where to begin, and I'm tired of wiping out all my data and restoring from external drives (done this 3 times since Thanskgiving).

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dvn

• ikon

• timekills

• JDog04

Top Posters In This Topic

Hate to say it, but from what you said it sounds like a bad 3.0 upgrade. Someone here may know of a fix for that (if that is the problem), but it may turn out that the fastest fix is to do a server recovery. And then redo the 3.0 upgrade. You ran check disk? Go ahead and check SMART, too. Portable version of Crystal Disk Info can do that for you.

I experienced some oddities when I put the 3.0 on my ex470 (w/ 2GB upgrade) and downgraded pretty quickly.

Someone recently had similar issues here, not sure if it was a HP though. It ended up being an issue with the hard drive speed if I recall correctly. I tried to find the thread but can't right now.

Thanks everyone for your responses. I'm trying to stay away from wiping out the server (factory reset) since it literally takes me days to get my data back onto the drives, and I prefer to stick with version 3.0. The hard drive speed issue is curious b/c I just noticed that the server does not seem to balancing the load across all hard drives. I have the two 500GB that shipped with the unit, then I added 1TB and 2TB drives later. It appears that the two smaller drives are 96% and 98% full, but the 2TB drive is only 3% full. So it's hardly utilized. Could this be part of my problem?

Hate to say it, but from what you said it sounds like a bad 3.0 upgrade. Someone here may know of a fix for that (if that is the problem), but it may turn out that the fastest fix is to do a server recovery. And then redo the 3.0 upgrade. You ran check disk? Go ahead and check SMART, too. Portable version of Crystal Disk Info can do that for you.

Thanks DVN. I am a novice user at best. How would I use Crystal Disk Info? Download it to the server using Remote Desktop? What errors or data would I be looking for precisely?

The hard drive speed issue is curious b/c I just noticed that the server does not seem to balancing the load across all hard drives. I have the two 500GB that shipped with the unit, then I added 1TB and 2TB drives later. It appears that the two smaller drives are 96% and 98% full, but the 2TB drive is only 3% full. So it's hardly utilized. Could this be part of my problem?

Having some drives almost full and others almost empty is normal for WHS. I'm not sure if anyone actually knows why; it just 'is'.

Having some drives almost full and others almost empty is normal for WHS. I'm not sure if anyone actually knows why; it just 'is'.

This is just how DE works. One thing is for sure, in the WHS 2011 product, we may all see better performance simply through balancing more content across more drives, allowing every spindle to work for you.

I went ahead and did a server recovery from my Windows 7 machine. I ran into a few hickups during the install process (same ones I always run into). After completing about 75% of the install, the server reboots (about the second or third time overall) and the installer encounters an unknown error (something about being unable to locate the Windows Home Server on the network). It prompts me to restart the server, which I do (holding down the button in the back of the unit to force a shutdown), and clike the back button to continue. The second time around, the issue cannot be resolved. So I exit installer. Upon exiting, the console icon then pops up a flag warning saying the install is not complete, click to continue. Upon clicking to continue, the home server connector install begins anew, simultaneously with an error about unable to wake on LAN. I hit cancel, and proceed with the connector install. It fails saying that it cannot locate the server. I exit, and the console icon remains grayed out. As a last resort, I upon the console anyway to log in, but I get the login error this computer cannot connect to your home server.

Curious about separate, and maybe related issue. I've been watching my network to see if anything sticks out during the install. I noticed that my Windows 7 computer from which I am installing is being assigned two IP addresses. Can this be contributing my troubles?

Edited by JDog04

How would I use Crystal Disk Info? Download it to the server using Remote Desktop? What errors or data would I be looking for precisely?

Yes, download it to your server, perhaps to the Software share. Then RDP in and navigate to the folder, right-click DiskInfo.exe and create a shortcut on your server Desktop. Run it from there. As to errors, Reallocated Sectors Count, Uncorrectable Sector Count, and temperature are the important parameters. Basically, look for any yellow or red warnings.

When you do this reinstall, are there any USB devices connected to the server?