RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Backup laptop from remote location to MSS

smartmoney

Love the show and first post! I know there is some DEEP thinkers (see H4CK3R John) here to help solve a problem.

I have a sister that is so-so computer savy. Se lives in a different state so i have her laptop backed up to my MSS when she is home and i have a "drop box" of files for her do backup to but she never remembers to do it. I have cashplan setup for that reason now but I would like to setup a way for her to do automatic backups to the MSS over the internet in case of a total laptop failure. I am looking at maybe openvpn but is there an easier way? Maybe using Hamachi to "fake" a local connection?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• IndyLux

• pcdoc

• smartmoney

• ikon

I like the idea, but even if you could, I'm betting it'd be wicked slow. Setting that aside, why don't you try it and let us know what you see? Sounds interesting.

I agree that it'd be pretty slow. Honestly, I'd probably go with a commercial cloud backup solution if I were in your situation.

How about getting your sister a cheap server of her own. Something like the LX195. You might be able to find one fairly cheap this way she has a recovery plan as well. The cloud backup is fine for data but an entire image would be painful slow. I tried backing up 10 gig and almost gave up computing....

isn't this the place to figure it out rather than "don't do it"? I have a HUGE pipe and she does as well so bandwidth is not an issue. I have the MAIN backup done. The follow-up backups should be pretty small.

commercial cloud backup solution if I were in your situation.

now i have to ask what would be the difference? your still using the bandwidth so why would i do that and pay $$. I have no capped data plan to worry about.
I tried backing up 10 gig and almost gave up computing
When you have a 30MB UP connection that is not an issue over here! I have my 3+TB of data on my homeserver backed up to my business homeserver over crashplan. I am all Macs so i have no need for anything other than crashplan where i have a time machine and SuperDuper backup where as my sister is windows and i want the image based restore.
How about getting your sister a cheap server of her own

i have an OEM copy of WHS from my homebuild before i went to HP and i also have a technet version and i have several computers that would work but that would defeat the purpose. I listen to John on the podcast all the time and he is always pushing the envelope. Why? Because he can/wants to! there is usually other solutions but why not add another to the mix? I am really disappointed that everyone wont look outside the box. Isn't that why we "hack" our boxes. To do something that someone says cant or shouldn't be done.

Here is my point....I posted a question on Microsoft forum right after the Beta build of the home server software was posted asking for a way to backup the homeserver or user data to another homeserver and not the cloud since that was a paid service as i already have all this empty space available to use and was shot down and told it can't be done. Well now there is Crash Plan and it is doing it. Bandwidth is getting more and more all the time so why not use it. It sits idle all night anyway.

Hi,
Chris Lux loves Crashplan and was disappointed that he missed them at CES. He did mention on the last podcast about LaCie's new home server and they are bundling it with Wualla. During the interview, the rep from LaCie said anyone can use it. It might be free for those who share drive space or something like that . Chris is testing it now. He's the pro there. I'll ask him to look at this post to see what he can offer. He'll probably comment on the podcast on Crashplan & Wualla so as allways, keep listening.

John(homeservershow).

smartmoney

You seemed offended by some of the suggestions however your original post did not mention you had a 30 meg up connection which is far more than the average home/small business nor that it was a MAC so some suggestions where made on price/fucntion/practicality. It is not that we are thinking inside the box it is that most people have some inherent bandwidth limitations and for me that that is about 1.2 megs up which makes it "impractical" for large amounts of data. I wish I had your connection speed as I would use the built in features of Ghost 14 or 15 which handles offsite data management automatically and copy to my WHS at work as well as extend the functionality of my netowrk by bridging the two. Good luck.

thanks HartmannTech.com
I figured that hamachi would work because i have used that in the past but wasn't sure that the homeserver would see it as truly local. I will give that a try and report back!

pcdoc: No offense taken just figured i would get a few more techie answers other than "just go buy a LX195". As stated she is a non techie so it would consist of a few pictures and documents on an older laptop. were not talking major data. If i am correct it only backups the changed data and not a whole big backup, right?

Helps when YOU ARE the ISP and get a static address also :). Only wish i was able to get it wired cause we have a 100MB Symmetric connection at the head-end.