RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

1155 Socket

ImTheTypeOfGuy

Anyone notice that all the boards out for the new socket only have four memory slots? Anyone know why none of them have six slots?

I also find it strange that all new MB's don't have all their USB ports be 3.0 and all the SATA ports be SATA III. Both can be backwards compatible.

Guest no-control

The answer to the first question is because 1155 doesn't use a triple channel memory controller. Only 1366 does. 2011 is rumored to use a quad.

answer is cost USB 3 and SATAIII are additional chips on the board therefore incur a cost where as USB2 and SATAII are part of the intel chipset

Anyone notice that all the boards out for the new socket only have four memory slots? Anyone know why none of them have six slots?

I also find it strange that all new MB's don't have all their USB ports be 3.0 and all the SATA ports be SATA III. Both can be backwards compatible.

I don't think the USB and SATA issue is strange really. As I understand it, it has to do with the chipsets and the bandwidth they can provide. Apparently, Intel found it too difficult or too expensive or too whatever to have all the SATA ports in the chipsets be 6 Gbps. The chips couldn't handle, say, 6 SATA III ports all going at 6 Gbps concurrently.

Edited by ikon

No-controls is correct and in addition, the architecture is different so the sandy bridge is as fast or faster with dual channels as the X58 is with tripples. I had a chance to benchmark them before sending them back for the recall. The quad channel will be expensive but mind boggling. Look forward to that release.

I would also expect that Intel's recent Thunderbolt release would have something to do with their lack of support for USB 3.0. They say otherwise, but I am not a trustful person by nature.

Thanks everyone for the responses.

Is 2011 a new socket planned for this year, or just a new socket with no known date for release?

I will have to do some research on thunderbolt. I don't believe I have come across it yet.

Thunderbolt is Apple's name. The technology is called Lightpeak, and [hopefully] will always be called Lightpeak. Thunderbolt is just like Sony calling Firewire i.Link or whatever stupid name they used.

Thunderbolt is Apple's name. The technology is called Lightpeak, and [hopefully] will always be called Lightpeak. Thunderbolt is just like Sony calling Firewire i.Link or whatever stupid name they used.

Actually Thunderbolt is Intel's name for the technology. It was code named Lightpeak when they were still using fiber optic cables but they have since changed to copper and it is now officially known as "Thunderbolt".You can read about it here on Intel's site.

Thanks everyone for the responses.

Is 2011 a new socket planned for this year, or just a new socket with no known date for release?

I will have to do some research on thunderbolt. I don't believe I have come across it yet.

Yes Socket 2011 is the new replacement for the existing X58 and will cover the high end enthusiast boards along with a new line of CPU (6 and 8 core). Sandy Bridge on steriods...