RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 Service Pack 1

tinkererguy

Sure hoping/expecting Windows Home Server 2011 to ship with SP1 slipstreamed right in, avoiding the 30min-60min SP1 upgrade hassle that'd be needed right after install of a new system.

Given how smooth my own testing of SP1 has been, with Windows 7 SP1 and Windows 2008 R2 SP1 installs going quite well, both through Windows Update and through the SP1 download, I wouldn't expect us to notice any differences in features or performance. I've also used the new, pre-made Win 7 / W2K8R2 ISOs from MSDN that have SP1 slipstreamed in for us, very convenient, no longer needing to make our own slipstream ISO, or waiting for months for Microsoft to get around to it.

This would also seem to mean we'd need to have a new WHS 2011 Release Candidate as well, one that incorporates SP1, but perhaps it's too late for that, probably not a big deal either way really.

Edited by tinkererguy

All of the 2008 Server images now have SP1 in them so I would expect that WHS 2011, when released, would have it also.

One thing that surprised me is that WHS2011 and SBS-E, while having SP1, are not working with dynamic memory when running as a VM on Hyper-V. Funny thing is, WHS v1 does work. I wonder if these beta versions have a different version of SP1 and when the final version is released if they will then work.

• 4 weeks later...

RTM now out, installed it in a VM unattached to any network, and there it is, SP1 already pre-installed, nice touch!

Also interesting that it came over from RTM announce to MSDN relatively fast. Most files on the DVD ISO itself are dated March 2nd 2011.

Edited by tinkererguy

VMware Player 3.1.3 build-324285

4-6-2011_11-38-07_AM_vmwareplayer.png

VMware Workstation 7.1.3 build-324285

4-6-2011_11-41-00_AM_vmwareworkstation.png

Edited by tinkererguy