RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Computer Workbench

Neophyte

Anyone have any suggestions on types or manufacturers of computer workbenches and part storage solutions? We are going to be finishing our basement this spring and I would like to make a specific room/space for my new hobby, building/testing PCs.

Look up used office furniture stores. Occasionally you'll see those long metal cubicle desks show up there for reasonably cheap (usually government surplus). If I had the room, that's what I'd get..

What I have right now is a kitchen counter that's about ten feet long as my 'desk'. It makes a very nice workbench (especially since it's scratch resistant..)... just tossing that out as an idea..

My other suggestion would be to make sure you build in wiring/conduit if you're going to be tearing the walls apart...

Agreed. Kitchen Lower Cabinets with a cheap-old countertop. Then get one of those 10-foot long outlet strips with 15 outlets on it.

Check Ikea. I bought a "desk" from there a few years ago with top and bottom shelves. It also has swing arms left and right for monitors. About ~$125. The part I like is it is a stand up desk.

Kitchen counter tops that wrap around a room would make a good workplace also. Plenty of open area underneath and room for channeling all the wires.

Anyone have any suggestions on types or manufacturers of computer workbenches and part storage solutions? We are going to be finishing our basement this spring and I would like to make a specific room/space for my new hobby, building/testing PCs.

This might sound crazy but I laminated a "door" and used that for a desk as I could not find one with the proper depht. Then I added legs from the local iKea Store. It is actually pretty big, sturdy, just the right size.

p1010264e.jpg

Thanks for all the good suggestions. I will definitely look into them as they are certainly less expensive than what I was researching on the web. I want a nice workbench with some storage for parts and tools. I was looking at everything from Sears workbenches (http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00959186000P?prdNo=7&blockNo=7&blockType=G7) to custom technical workbenches (http://www.steelsentry.com/workbench_corner.php). The custom setup is probably a little overboard, but I could use that setup for my work as well.

f637d80c-0bee-4fc9-b7df-527cb85b06f1_300.jpg

I've used this in my garage for working on my race car, it has easily handled me dropping 50lbs cylinder heads on it. But I've moved it to the basement to set it up for computer and other projects now.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-202545413/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

Home Depot has a number of other workbenches to choose from if you don't like that one.

This might sound crazy but I laminated a "door" and used that for a desk as I could not find one with the proper depht. Then I added legs from the local iKea Store. It is actually pretty big, sturdy, just the right size.

p1010264e.jpg

Very nice setup. Lots of screen real estate.

p1010264e.jpg

Agreed. Nice workstation setup. Not sure I would call it a 'workbench' though.

p1010264e.jpg

Where did you get that little stand your PC is on? I need to get mine off the floor/carpet and have been looking for something.

I also need to get something on the top to keep my cat from getting on top of it. I have been thinking about broken glass but that could get messy.