RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

HuntKey Jumper/R90 300 PSU

mrossco

If you're like me, you're always looking for a good 80 Plus certified PSU. To date, most of them have been high wattage, which for a small, low power build, seems to be a waste. I know these things are very efficient, but I like the idea of having just enough power to meet my needs plus only a small amount for headroom. It's not about pennies on my power bill; instead, it's more about the principal...

Anandtech is currently featuring an article on the HuntKey Jumper/R90. It's a low wattage, high efficiency power supply that looks promising. Not only is it efficient, but it can be found for under $100 too...

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4069/huntkey-300w-80plus-gold

If you're like me, you're always looking for a good 80 Plus certified PSU. To date, most of them have been high wattage, which for a small, low power build, seems to be a waste. I know these things are very efficient, but I like the idea of having just enough power to meet my needs plus only a small amount for headroom. It's not about pennies on my power bill; instead, it's more about the principal...

I don't quite understand this philosophy. A electronics tech buddy told me the extra power doesn't matter because the system will only draw as much as it needs; it's not like the PSU is pumping out wasted power.

I don't quite understand this philosophy. A electronics tech buddy told me the extra power doesn't matter because the system will only draw as much as it needs; it's not like the PSU is pumping out wasted power.

If it pumped out more power than needed, it would fry the PC. I think the issue is more perceived than real world. However, with that said, usually, as the available capacity increases, the units power conversion factor decreases. So if you only need 350 watts, a 400 watt PSU would be more efficient in delivering that 350 watts than a 700 watt PSU. The conversion factor relates to loss energy. In my example, if a 400 watt PSU was delivering 350 watts, a Kilowatt might show 370 watts is being drawn at the wall. However a 700 watt PSU might show 378 watts at the wall. I hope this helps.