RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Video COnversion

texasPI

I have my DVD collection ripped to my WHS in Video_TS format. Is there anyway to reconvert my entire collection to another format and just have the main movie? When I ripped my collection I thought I'd like to have the original DVD structure with menus but I find now that I'd rather just have the movie only for space and ease of use issues.

Sure. Pretty much any of the programs that will do that from a disc will do it from a folder structure as well.

Sure. Pretty much any of the programs that will do that from a disc will do it from a folder structure as well.

Thanks, I forgot I've used Handbrake in the past and it worked out pretty well.

I have my DVD collection ripped to my WHS in Video_TS format. Is there anyway to reconvert my entire collection to another format and just have the main movie? When I ripped my collection I thought I'd like to have the original DVD structure with menus but I find now that I'd rather just have the movie only for space and ease of use issues.

Sure but you will have to do it one at time. Now that the protection is gone, you can use your favorite DVD copy program and remove the "stuff" you do not want. Nero and CloneDVD just to name a couple. I find that CloneDVD (www.slysoft.com) does a great jon and is very easy to use. You do not have to change formats, only have to re-process them to remove the stuff. Good luck with it and hope that helps.

You can use Windows Media Encoder and script the conversions. That way you can do all at once. I've not found many fans of WME but it does work. It's been a while since i've looked at Expression Encoder but you might google around to find a way to "batch" it.

Thanks for the suggestions. I found a batch script for Handbrake and I'm trying it out on a few titles. I'll check out the other options too. Thanks again.

You can use Windows Media Encoder and script the conversions. That way you can do all at once. I've not found many fans of WME but it does work. It's been a while since i've looked at Expression Encoder but you might google around to find a way to "batch" it.

WME is definitely underrated. I bet many ppl would be surprised to find out how many 'products' out there are/were actually using the command line version of WME to do the re-encoding. It's pretty much deprecated now I think, but at one time it was one of the best.

I'll second (third?) Handbrake. You can queue up a bunch of videos. I was in the same boat; 100 (+/-) of my DVDs ripped to VIDEO_TS all in individual folders for My Movies to populate. Eventually I got tired of the space and working to convert them on the fly for each different player (Xbox360, iPad, Zune, etc.)

I have some pretty decent encoding presets for MP4 which work on almost every flavor of player (all of the above certainly) which I could list if there is an interest. However I've taken to putting them all into MKV folders of late since it does a better job of handling multiple audio streams and subtitles. I always down mix the AC3 to AAC in audio stream #1, but I also include a direct copy of the AC3 5.1 file as audio #2 so I can play it on any systems that play AC3 and keep the better surround. The MKV container also allows for subtitles to be turned on and off as desired.

Just remember if you convert using an MP4 container, that you choose the "burned-in" selection for subtitles or else they won't play. Of course, that means they're permanently there, which I don't like. I typically only do that with the "Forced Only" subtitles. Those are the subs that are played when the character is speaking in a language other than the movie's main language so you can understand what he/she is saying. Nothing more frustrating than ripping a Kurosawa flick only to find you forgot to burn in the forced subtitles. Nihongo skoshi wakarimasu. Very skoshi. :)

Learned something today. I have not heard WME or expressions decoder till today. Will give it a shot.