RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Need Help Deciding

texasPI

I have 3 of these: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883108321&Tpk=Q150

On sale I got one of them for around $300. Newegg is showing that they are out of stock, so perhaps a new version is coming and you'll be able to find this somewhere cheaply.

Although I haven't tried every format/online provider, but since it's a PC, it should be able to play almost anything.

Also, as an aside, I have 3 small kids. Down the road when I feel the need to upgrade these Lenovos, I'll make these my Kids' PCs or move them to some "secondary" viewing locations (ex. kitchen). They're ultra small/portable and have HDMI out, so very flexible to put in a lot of places.

I have 3 of these: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883108321&Tpk=Q150

On sale I got one of them for around $300. Newegg is showing that they are out of stock, so perhaps a new version is coming and you'll be able to find this somewhere cheaply.

Although I haven't tried every format/online provider, but since it's a PC, it should be able to play almost anything.

Also, as an aside, I have 3 small kids. Down the road when I feel the need to upgrade these Lenovos, I'll make these my Kids' PCs or move them to some "secondary" viewing locations (ex. kitchen). They're ultra small/portable and have HDMI out, so very flexible to put in a lot of places.

I ran across these sometime ago but their cost is too high for the occasional use they'll get from me. I'm leaning toward a bare bones nettop booting xbmc from a flash drive. With the smartphone remote for xbmc I think I'll be set. I like the Lenovo but I don't need a hard drive or operating system.

Edited by texasPI

I just bought a boxee box based on the results of Dave's review. I figure if I don't like it I will ask Dave to reimburse me for my losses. ;)

If I end up hating the shape, probably won't because I like unique things, I will check into taking everything out of it and putting it into a mini-itx case.

Ok, I think I just may go with an Apple TV 2 and jailbreak it to install XBMC. All I really want is to be able to stream the movies I have stored on my WHS using XBMC and this seems to fit the bill. SInce my wife has an ipod and we have itunes, this will also be good for playing whatever content she has too. She'll also be getting an ipad through her job and xbmc can be hacked onto it as well. We'll also have Netflix all in one box and I can move my existing Roku to my son's room for his shows etc.

What do y'all think?