RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Read/Write access to shares

Kman

I'm having problems writing / deleting stuff from my shares. I seem to only have read access at this point

I have checked the users and the user i'm using has Read/Write for all folders yet I still can't write or delete

I even deleted the user and read added the user on the server still the same. Also rebooted server to no luck.

I tried to make another account and then just map a drive to one folder using the new user name and password and it will not connect at all

Now I did play with Homegroup but have disconnected them and I think this is part of my problem

My client PC is a windows 7 pc that I’m doing the testing with

Now I did a test via access to it though the web //WHS.Homeserver.com and put in my user name and password and it seems I have the access including writing / delete like I should.

I rebooted my windows 7 pc but still can't seem to get proper access

Anyone have any suggestions

I'm having problems writing / deleting stuff from my shares. I seem to only have read access at this point

I have checked the users and the user i'm using has Read/Write for all folders yet I still can't write or delete

I even deleted the user and read added the user on the server still the same. Also rebooted server to no luck.

I tried to make another account and then just map a drive to one folder using the new user name and password and it will not connect at all

Now I did play with Homegroup but have disconnected them and I think this is part of my problem

My client PC is a windows 7 pc that I’m doing the testing with

Now I did a test via access to it though the web //WHS.Homeserver.com and put in my user name and password and it seems I have the access including writing / delete like I should.

I rebooted my windows 7 pc but still can't seem to get proper access

Anyone have any suggestions

Are these shares on your WHS? If so, are you using the WHS Console to administer the shares? If not, why not? If they are the WHS shares and you're administering the rights directly via Server 2003 instead of the Console, I suspect that could be your problem. Someone jump in here if I'm off base.... please.

You should be using the console to administer. Also, make sure that your password is the same on the client as the one you set up for server access. Sometimes things get confused. My suggestion is this:

1. Change your password on your client PC

2. Delete the user in the WHS console

3. Recreate the user in the console with the "same" password as you set up on the client.

4. Go into the console and remove access to the shares for that user, and then re-assign it.

5. Reboot both and try again

If that does not work, we will need some screen shots or more information as it really appears it is a user name issue. The fact you can access from remote and not locally tells me there is an issue with the client, not the server.

You should be using the console to administer. Also, make sure that your password is the same on the client as the one you set up for server access. Sometimes things get confused. My suggestion is this:

1. Change your password on your client PC

2. Delete the user in the WHS console

3. Recreate the user in the console with the "same" password as you set up on the client.

4. Go into the console and remove access to the shares for that user, and then re-assign it.

5. Reboot both and try again

If that does not work, we will need some screen shots or more information as it really appears it is a user name issue. The fact you can access from remote and not locally tells me there is an issue with the client, not the server.

Yes everything has been done via the Dashboard

Thanks these 5 steps seems to have fixed my problem

Yes everything has been done via the Dashboard

Thanks these 5 steps seems to have fixed my problem

pcdoc to the rescue.... again :)

ikon,

Glad you got your issue resolved, and mostly I am glad I got there before timekills...

Enjoy

FYI I did have the same problem this week with my video files but it said that another program was accessing them. Turns out it was the zune software running on my main pc. Just some info if someone has this problem.