RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Installing MSS 3 on a non-HP pc

beausee

Hi,

I am a newbie at this so bear with me...

I want to create a install file/disc so that I can install MSS 3.0 on a non-HP pc.

I like the drive extender and the Msc backup possibilities, also the My Movie apps. So this is why I want to do this instead than a Vail machine

I have the hp upgrade MSS 3.0 from HP dvd in my possession (I used to owe a 470x)and I also have a oem version of WHS

All info will be greatly appreciated

I will await your replies with great anticipation

I do not believe it is possible to install MSS 3.0 on another PC, as it is specific for the HP hardware. You will need to use WHSv1 software on a new PC and just install MyMovies.

Edited by Neophyte

I do not believe it is possible to install MSS 3.0 on another PC, as it is specific for the HP hardware. You will need to use WHSv1 software on a new PC and just install MyMovies.

I think Diehard did it! If impossible maybe at least someone could tell me what add-ins/software I cou7ld put over OEM version so that I have almost all capabilities of MSS 3.0

Regards

HP MSS 3.0 uses Twonky for most of its media stuff. They used to have an add-in, but discontinued that. You would need to purchase a license from Twonky, but you can still install on WHS.

http://www.twonky.com/upfiles/Install%20TwonkyServer%20on%20Windows%20HomeServer-EN.pdf

You may find this experience better anyway, because Twonky in MSS 3.0 had problems. Newer Twonky versions corrected the issues, but HP stopped updating it in their software.

http://www.mediasmartserver.net/2010/03/04/how-to-fix-twonky-issues-in-3-0-patch-2/

Of course, now HP does not support WHS at all. So again it may be a good idea to build your own anyway.

HP MSS 3.0 uses Twonky for most of its media stuff. They used to have an add-in, but discontinued that. You would need to purchase a license from Twonky, but you can still install on WHS.

http://www.twonky.com/upfiles/Install%20TwonkyServer%20on%20Windows%20HomeServer-EN.pdf

You may find this experience better anyway, because Twonky in MSS 3.0 had problems. Newer Twonky versions corrected the issues, but HP stopped updating it in their software.

http://www.mediasmartserver.net/2010/03/04/how-to-fix-twonky-issues-in-3-0-patch-2/

Of course, now HP does not support WHS at all. So again it may be a good idea to build your own anyway.

ok so thwonky

also apple bonjour,

also Firefly server

what do you need for video encoding/decoding?

Hi,

I am a newbie at this so bear with me...

I want to create a install file/disc so that I can install MSS 3.0 on a non-HP pc.

I like the drive extender and the Msc backup possibilities, also the My Movie apps. So this is why I want to do this instead than a Vail machine

I have the hp upgrade MSS 3.0 from HP dvd in my possession (I used to owe a 470x)and I also have a oem version of WHS

All info will be greatly appreciated

I will await your replies with great anticipation

I would use the OEM version of WHS and not attempt the HP stuff. As neophyte stated, you can add the missing modules. I would stick with myMoives and not add too much stuff but I think you will be better going the OEM route.

I would use the OEM version of WHS and not attempt the HP stuff. As neophyte stated, you can add the missing modules. I would stick with myMoives and not add too much stuff but I think you will be better going the OEM route.

I guess the biggest question would be whether he can use the license key from his MSS version on an OEM copy of WHS.

I guess the biggest question would be whether he can use the license key from his MSS version on an OEM copy of WHS.

Well I paid dor the oem version so i got a license..

But still for sake of arguments,beside

twonky

also apple bonjour,

also Firefly server

what else would I need to aggregates media files and have the capacity to server itune and back up my pc and mac?

Thanks

I had a 495 and sold it in order to build a new box.

The experience has been much better with a homebuild

and a vanilla install WHS. I am looking to add MyMovies

soon myself, so will keep an eye on this thread.

Update

My box got

WHS servece pack 3

My Movies

TwonkyMedia

Firefly server

Asus web storage

I am now trying to use my WHS box to TIME MACHINE my 2 Macbook Pro

This was helpfull

http://www.levelofindirection.com/journal/2009/10/10/using-a-networked-drive-for-time-machine-backups-on-a-mac.html?currentPage=5

But After a single instance in wich it completed, it would work after that. so need help to back up my Macbook to the whs

thanks for your info guys