RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Methods of ripping DVD and Blu-Ray

Dave

I rip using AnyDVD-HD to folder, then use Handbrake to convert to .M4v (with chapter breaks), then upload both to WHSv1. Converted videos are for trips with the laptop.

I looked into MyMovies but quickly moved elsewhere because of the cost. The ala-carte price structure is WAY overpriced. USD$100 just to "play movie"? Puh-leeze!

Edited by Mr_Smartepants

• 1 month later...

Sorry I'm late!!

DVD: DVDFab to Folder structure (Video TS, .vob), main movie, no sub-picture (Subtitles), best available 5.1 audio option.

BD: DVDFab to Folder structure (m2ts), main movie, no sub-picture (Subtitles), best available 5.1 audio option. (DTS)

Recorded TV: MC-TVConverter to MP4. I like to make the TV stuff available to:

XBMC on Win 7 HTPC for Lounge

XBMC Live (Linux) in bedroom

WD Live in Kitchen

iPads (Streamed using File Browser 1.9.1 - good app)

Laptop PCs.

All stored on WHS, but ripped, or recoded by i5 Laptop.

In case anyone is interested I only use Media Center for recording TV with my HTPC which I fitted with a couple of Win TV Nova S2 cards. For everything else, I cannot get Media Center stable, it keeps breaking, and it will not natively play Blu-Ray. XBMC is not perfect but it plays almost everything including Blu-ray and even has auto frame rate adjustment so everything runs smooth. I let the family vote, and the result was a resounding thumbs up for XBMC!

DVD: DVDFab to Folder structure (Video TS, .vob), main movie, no sub-picture (Subtitles), best available 5.1 audio option.

BD: DVDFab to Folder structure (m2ts), main movie, no sub-picture (Subtitles), best available 5.1 audio option. (DTS)

So are you using DVD and Blu-ray Copy or Ripper? I don't see a DVDFab program.

So are you using DVD and Blu-ray Copy or Ripper? I don't see a DVDFab program.

I Use DVDFab HD Decrypter.

It's worth downloading the free trial (if you haven't already) to see what works best.

1) Purchase movie

2) Download pre-transcoded MKV from Internet

3) ???

4) Done!!!

*Snicker snicker*

Nah, I'd do that if it were 100% on the up and up, even though it's a lot of saved time and hard drive space, while being legal in the end (but not somewhere in the middle, depending on what country you live in).

My actual process:

1) Rip directly with AnyDVD HD. I find MyMovies copies too slowly.

2) Transcode with MakeMKV to a 720p copy.

I figure while 1080p is nice, if I actually care that much about quality, I'll go watch the disc. 720p versions are easier to transcode in real-time to other devices like an iPhone/iPad or over the Internet while not using as much CPU.

I rip using AnyDVD-HD to folder, then use Handbrake to convert to .M4v (with chapter breaks), then upload both to WHSv1. Converted videos are for trips with the laptop.

I looked into MyMovies but quickly moved elsewhere because of the cost. The ala-carte price structure is WAY overpriced. USD$100 just to "play movie"? Puh-leeze!

Oh buddy, $100 is much more than to just "play movies". You get access to a VERY powerful database which I doubt you'll see anywhere else. And the WMC plugin presentation is probably the best I have EVER seen. I think you should at least try it before you knock it.

And all updates after you've paid are free, even to major version releases. It's quite generous. They just added TV series support which is a HUGE undertaking.

Rip-DVD Decrypter

Encode-Handbrake

Dump to WHS 2011

I am really behind the curve trying to do everything free?

I mean, I really want to try AnyDVD HD but I don't want to pay for it and find out that my old way was just as effective.

Someone sell me on it please!

Edited by Kenworth

DVD's - AnyDVDHD to un-encrypt, Handbrake to convert to .m4v with AppleTV2 profile. Copy to my SageTV server. Plays back on everything I own.

BR's - Not really ripping yet, need more space and not sure if it is worth ripping Blu-ray's since I have it on DVD and ripped already.

I rip DVD's so the kids can watch whatever they want via SageTV. If I want to watch something in Blu-ray quality, i'll get up and put it in the Blu-ray player.

Dennis

For DVDs and BluRays I use Slysofts ANYDVDHD to rip movies to ISO files.

I store them in my Video folder on my WHS ver.1

I play them back through 7MC using MyMovies.

I use Virtual Clone Drive (Slysoft Free) to mount the ISO files.

VCD integrates with MyMovies really well and MyMovies integrates with 7MC really well.

My Setup

i thought we had already discussed this in this thread?

i use anydvd-hd + clonedvd btw. dvd's in ts folders and br in iso.

Edited by JoseROrtiz