RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Methods of ripping DVD and Blu-Ray

Dave

It's been answered a few times, but if not clear, YES you can rip movies using My Movies from a non-WHS box. Obviously you could rip and copy, but I mean using the actual My Movies client app on the PC. It rips to the WHS and adds the metadata automagically.

For original thread posterity, nothing new in my setup. DVDs using AnyDVDHD + My Movies to VIDEO_TS. When needed/wanted I convert the VIDEO_TS files using Handbrake to a MKV to allow for two audio tracks (one converted to 2-channel AAC for better compatibility and one direct copy of the 5.1 AC3) and subtitles.

OK. Got it working, although it's a right PITA. They sure don't make it simple. I won't go into all the gory details, but I had to download and install both MM WHS and MM WMC (install MM WMC as client-only). Had to create a MM forum account. Had to buy points or create a trial points account (which is what I did). Not sure I'll keep it. I do very very little copying, and it gets pretty expensive, pretty quickly; $100 for the amount of copying I do seems kinda high. We'll see.

Nevertheless, thank you very much for your help — never would have figured that out on my own.

Hmmm...unless it changed recently, I have not had to have points to rip DVDs. IIRC, the points are only required if you want to rip from the WHS console tab. Maybe you're talking about the cost for AnyDVD?

It always amazes me how much work ppl are willing to do to get DVDs & BRs onto their WHS. I virtually do zero ripping anymore. Tried one a few days ago (TBBT season 3 DVD) but it was just too tedious. My hat's off to you who are willing to put in the work.

Other than the installation of the hard drives into the WHS and the associated cost it is no work. I started because my then 7 year old had damaged a couple of DVD's. This was / is a good way for me to archive my data and it makes it easy for him to watch.

Ha, you remember the Wall-E incident then! Great thread guys. Keep the setups coming.

I like these kinds of threads.

I still have this issue once in a while...mainly with Disney DVD's. Pretty good copy protection to make a regular DVD look like 40-50 Gbs of data. I usually just erase the file on the server and copy from my AnyDVD ripper to my desktop and just transfer the file to the WHS afterwards.

Ha, you remember the Wall-E incident then! Great thread guys. Keep the setups coming.

I like these kinds of threads.

That is why I started ripping. Now just rip to be geeky .

Hmmm...unless it changed recently, I have not had to have points to rip DVDs. IIRC, the points are only required if you want to rip from the WHS console tab. Maybe you're talking about the cost for AnyDVD?

I wasn't talking about cost of AnyDVD. I probably have this all wrong. I find their product offerings very confusing. Maybe I'll install the WMC version on my wife's PC and see if it rips without points. Would be fun as a test if nothing else.

I wasn't talking about cost of AnyDVD. I probably have this all wrong. I find their product offerings very confusing. Maybe I'll install the WMC version on my wife's PC and see if it rips without points. Would be fun as a test if nothing else.

That brings up a good point. Since I haven't tried MyMovies what do I need to Pay/install for a HTPC /WHS setup. I dont need to pay for ripping on the server side so can I purchase the WMC Ad in with xbox live points LOL.

PS on the WHS back end do I need both MM Monitor and Metadata Collector or just Monitor ty

That brings up a good point. Since I haven't tried MyMovies what do I need to Pay/install for a HTPC /WHS setup. I dont need to pay for ripping on the server side so can I purchase the WMC Ad in with xbox live points LOL.

PS on the WHS back end do I need both MM Monitor and Metadata Collector or just Monitor ty

Best is to check the MyMovies site for details. This is the Product Pricing link and the Features Requiring Points table.

I gained points through contributing data and later paid for the additional points needed to allow multi disk copying.

Tim