RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Methods of ripping DVD and Blu-Ray

Dave

It always amazes me how much work ppl are willing to do to get DVDs & BRs onto their WHS. I virtually do zero ripping anymore. Tried one a few days ago (TBBT season 3 DVD) but it was just too tedious. My hat's off to you who are willing to put in the work.

I just toss the BR into my BR drive hit MakeMKV then press go. WHen its done in 10 minutes I copy it over to my movies folder on the WHS. Real easy not effort -- if it was a pain I wouldn't do it either =)

I also use MyMovies and AnyDVD. I rip from my desktop to my WHS. Not much work, just pop in the disc, hit copy and done.

I personally don't. I find the STB devices provide a better playback experience than a PC, so I just use the disc.

I personally don't. I find the STB devices provide a better playback experience than a PC, so I just use the disc.

Why, how positively quaint, not to mention pedestrian, of you. Imagine, actually using a DVD/BR player to watch shows/movies :D

I'm kidding of course; it actually makes a lot of sense; players are so cheap these days. Course, I do understand Dave's concern about young children and the handling of delicate optical media :)

I also use MyMovies and AnyDVD. I rip from my desktop to my WHS. Not much work, just pop in the disc, hit copy and done.

D-oh! :huh: Never thought of trying to run MyMovies from a non-WHS box; just assumed it was an add-in and only runs on WHS. Will look into it. Thanks.

Ha, you remember the Wall-E incident then! Great thread guys. Keep the setups coming.

I like these kinds of threads.

D-oh! :huh: Never thought of trying to run MyMovies from a non-WHS box; just assumed it was an add-in and only runs on WHS. Will look into it. Thanks.

Wait, I take it back; I did look at MyMovies. The issue I found was that the WMC version doesn't seem to offer any copying feature, only the WHS one seems to. Am I reading it wrong?

Wait, I take it back; I did look at MyMovies. The issue I found was that the WMC version doesn't seem to offer any copying feature, only the WHS one seems to. Am I reading it wrong?

I have the add-in installed on my WHS. On my PC I have MyMovies installed as a client only. IIRC, when you download the full MyMovies setup it asks whether you want to install server+client or client only. I just installed the client version on my PC since I have the add-in already running on the WHS as the server. Its been a while since I set it up so the details are fuzzy.

Edit: When I insert a DVD into my PC, MyMovies opens asking if I want to copy it to my collection. In that same window it allows you to specify the destination of the rip which I set to a folder on my WHS video share and whether I want to the copy as a folder structure (video_ts) or VOB.

Edited by texasPI

I have the add-in installed on my WHS. On my PC I have MyMovies installed as a client only. IIRC, when you download the full MyMovies setup it asks whether you want to install server+client or client only. I just installed the client version on my PC since I have the add-in already running on the WHS as the server. Its been a while since I set it up so the details are fuzzy.

Edit: When I insert a DVD into my PC, MyMovies opens asking if I want to copy it to my collection. In that same window it allows you to specify the destination of the rip which I set to a folder on my WHS video share and whether I want to the copy as a folder structure (video_ts) or VOB.

Thanks for the info texasPI. Too bad MyMovies.dk doesn't make that clear; seems to me they could be making more sales.... I'm downloading the add-in right now.

OK. Got it working, although it's a right PITA. They sure don't make it simple. I won't go into all the gory details, but I had to download and install both MM WHS and MM WMC (install MM WMC as client-only). Had to create a MM forum account. Had to buy points or create a trial points account (which is what I did). Not sure I'll keep it. I do very very little copying, and it gets pretty expensive, pretty quickly; $100 for the amount of copying I do seems kinda high. We'll see.

Nevertheless, thank you very much for your help — never would have figured that out on my own.