RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Dave

Methods of ripping DVD and Blu-Ray

Noland

AnyDVD with CloneDVD to remove the cruft, neither have ever failed me.

This is what I use too. This is a great pair for people like me who are still in the stone ages of DVD.

chris888

Hi Guys,

First forum post EVER :D !! I can see WHS seems the standard OS been used in this thread but I thought I'd share my Linux set up:

OS - Ubuntu Desktop LTS

DVD & BR - Handbrake GUI

Playback - xbmc on a PC or xbian (running on a raspberry pi) for any TVs

Handbrake work great and is easy to use. Its availble for Vista & Win7, not sure about compatability with WHS though.

I've even used mkvtoolnix for joining DVD extras onto the back of movies

Great Thread! Cheers Guys!

ikon

hey chris888. Welcome to the forums. Interesting setup you have. Glad it's working for you. Can I ask what you do for Bare Metal Restore?

chris888

Hi ikon, thanks for the post. I have my OS, media files and user folders on 3 separate hard drives. I've got mirror back ups of both my media and user folder hard drives.

Installation of the Ubuntu OS and config of NFS files sharing is easy (now I know how!) and doesn't take long so I've not been too concerned about getting back ups of my OS and apps drive.

ikon

When you say 'mirror back ups' do you mean you have RAID1 mirrors? If so, those are not backups; they're redundant copies. A good backup strategy includes off site backup. It's called the 3-2-1 strategy: 3 copies of all data, on 2 different types of media, with at least 1 copy off site. If you search the forums, you'll find there is a ton of discussion about it.

When I asked about Bare Metal Restore, I was referring to your client computers more than your server. I use WHS to back up the system drive on each of my client computers, so I can restore them to a known good configuration very quickly. Otherwise, it takes 1 to 2 days to reinstall a client PC from scratch.

chris888

Thanks for the info, I've not heard of the 3-2-1 strategy before, certainly sounds pretty bullet proof! 

I run various OS on client PCs around the house and generate restore points using their own system, i.e. Time machine on Mac. However, they are on the same hard disk (although on a separate partition), so its not very secure.

For my R-pi I've got a pre-configured installation folder on my server that I just copy on to an SD card. If my R-pi faults, (like it did a few months back) I just wipe the SD card and copy over the pre-configured installation. Takes a few minutes but works a charm. 

jmwills

Only backups that are tested and verified are "bulletproof"

ikon

Do you have any Windows clients? If yes, then WHS would be useful for doing bare metal restores of them. Windows Restore Points only go so far in this regard. For example, there is malware in the wild that can survive Restore Point rollbacks. The only certain way to get rid of them is to take the system completely back to a previous date, which is something System Restore can't guarantee.

revengineer

AnyDVD+Handbrake->mpg4 on Windows 7, storage in alphabetic folders on WS2012E running secondary Apache server, playback using Roksbox channel on Roku.

weeny

Joyoshare Video Converter to losslessly rip and convert DVD to MP4, MOV, and other formats.