RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Dave

Methods of ripping DVD and Blu-Ray

Dave

My idea is to post quickly on what you use to rip blu ray and DVD's. Leave a post on the software and methods you use.

My ripping setup:

MyMovies w/ AnyDVD on WHS v1 to MPG4 and Video_TS folders

Blu-Ray

AnyDVD on PC (although never works very well)

CBick

My Movies with AnyDVD TS Folders & MPEG2, WHSv1

External HP USB DVD

I have the ANYDVD for Blu Ray but, still need to get a USB Blu Ray Drive.

Edited by CBick

deadspeak

My idea is to post quickly on what you use to rip blu ray and DVD's. Leave a post on the software and methods you use.

My ripping setup:

Blu-Ray

AnyDVD on my Win7 home premium for all my rips, dvd and blu-rays that i want full copys off are ripped to folder structure then stored on my WHS V1.

Any movies that i want to convert to MKV's i use "makemkv" to take out all the extras and sound tracks i don't want, these are still massive files so i then use handbrake to convert them to smaller mkv's.

tojoski

DVDFAB for decryption, and Nero Recode to remove everything but the main movie and 5.1 channel, sometimes I use recode to compress.. depends on the movie. Stored as DVD Folders

ImTheTypeOfGuy

MyMovies w/ AnyDVD on WHS v1 to Video_TS folders or BD iso.

pcdoc

AnyDVD HD, TsMuxer, and Clone DVD. All rips are to folder (both BD and DVD).

analog

DVD: ANYDVDHD (HD version not required for DVD) straight rip to TS folder played in Media Center with mediabrowser and TMT5 for upscaling.

Blu-Ray movies: ANYDVDHD rip to hard drive, clown_bd (uses tsmuxer) extract main movie and desired audio tracts to Blu-Ray (BDMV) folder and played in Media Center with mediabrowser and TMT5.

Blu-Ray TV Series: ANYDVDHD rip to hard drive, RipBot264 to extract each episode to AVCHD (can be played natively in WIN7 Media center) and played in Media Center with mediabrowser. CQ 18, 4800 bitrate, AC3 640.

clown-bd: http://www.mediasmartserver.net/wiki/index.php/Clown_BD http://www.clownbd.com/

RipBot264: http://www.mediasmartserver.net/wiki/index.php/RipBot264 http://www.mediafire.com/?p4opahj7d5544oe

CablDeViL

DVDs: AnyDVDHD - I just rip it and play it

Blu Rays no compression: MakeMKV pull just the movie and the audio no extras and it tosses it into a MKV Container.

Blu Rays with compression: AnyDVDHD rip then RipBot264 this will make a Blu ray MKV around 8 to 12gig with little or no artifacts.

@analog I like your approach for DVD/BR TV Series that would make my collection look much better with the metadata and cover art since it will be scanned by MCM by episode and not by disk. Thanks for the tip.

ikon

It always amazes me how much work ppl are willing to do to get DVDs & BRs onto their WHS. I virtually do zero ripping anymore. Tried one a few days ago (TBBT season 3 DVD) but it was just too tedious. My hat's off to you who are willing to put in the work.

Edited by ikon

ikon

My ripping setup:

Blu-Ray

Do you have optical drives connected directly to your WHS? Do you think it's even possible that MyMovies could use an optical drive shared from my win7 box?