RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

It's time to renew my TechNet

Don W

I was wondering which subscription level of TechNet I should renew. There is the Standard which is $149 I believe and the Professional that is $249 I believe. I was hoping Vail would come out before I have to renew that way I could wait a couple years and get it when Windows 8 comes out but my subscription expires April 15.

You still have 30 days to renew after the expiration date, I think. If you want the Professional you will have to buy it, not renew from Standard to Pro.

I would purchase the Standard unless you need the Enterprise Software. Still comes with WHS 2011

From the site: Includes most MS commercial software including Beta and RC releases. Does not include Enterprise or Dynamics software.

I'm sure someone can find a coupon code to make it a bit cheaper?

I would purchase the Standard unless you need the Enterprise Software. Still comes with WHS 2011

From the site: Includes most MS commercial software including Beta and RC releases. Does not include Enterprise or Dynamics software.

I'm sure someone can find a coupon code to make it a bit cheaper?

I agree with Jim.

I have been looking for a coupon code but haven't found one over the past few weeks.

I was wondering which subscription level of TechNet I should renew. There is the Standard which is $149 I believe and the Professional that is $249 I believe. I was hoping Vail would come out before I have to renew that way I could wait a couple years and get it when Windows 8 comes out but my subscription expires April 15.

In another thread I believe someone posted that you should let your subscription expire and buy a new one because, that way, you get a whole new set of licenses, and still get to keep your old ones too.

In another thread I believe someone posted that you should let your subscription expire and buy a new one because, that way, you get a whole new set of licenses, and still get to keep your old ones too.

Can anyone confirm this? I guess you would have to weight the getting new set of licenses against paying full price, which I assume you would have to pay for letting it expire, right?

I was under the impression that you get a new set of licenses under the renewal. Why bother renewing to keep the old licenses if they don't expire in the first place? Last month I requested all of the keys for all of the software I ever plan on using...they are good even after my subscription expires. If you don't get the keys before your subscription expires you will not have access to them unless you renew.

This is my understanding...am I wrong?

• 4 weeks later...

Okay, here's the deal. The licenses you get with your subscription are good FOREVER. Case closed. However (yep you knew this was coming), unless you retrieve all of the licenses and make a copy of them somewhere, once the subscription expires, you can no longer retrieve any of those keys nor download any files.

So, if your subscription expired 30 days ago, 1 March, and WHS 2011 comes out 2 April, you will not get access to the new images. If you renew year after year, what you want to do is continually refresh your images to make sure you have the latest and most up to date.

I created a set of folders to match those on the site and always look for new images. Makes life easy and I have three copies of those files.

Example, I have subscriptions for the last two years in which Windows 7 was released. I have 15 licenses for every SKU they make. 10 from late 2009 and 5 from late 2010 due to the change in the subscription model. These will never expire.

Okay, here's the deal. The licenses you get with your subscription are good FOREVER. Case closed. However (yep you knew this was coming), unless you retrieve all of the licenses and make a copy of them somewhere, once the subscription expires, you can no longer retrieve any of those keys nor download any files.

So, if your subscription expired 30 days ago, 1 March, and WHS 2011 comes out 2 April, you will not get access to the new images. If you renew year after year, what you want to do is continually refresh your images to make sure you have the latest and most up to date.

I created a set of folders to match those on the site and always look for new images. Makes life easy and I have three copies of those files.

Example, I have subscriptions for the last two years in which Windows 7 was released. I have 15 licenses for every SKU they make. 10 from late 2009 and 5 from late 2010 due to the change in the subscription model. These will never expire.

Ditto...exactly what I do except I have not been updating the images. Guess I will look at those as well.