RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Newbie Qs : how to connect to WHS beyond the console

hackaro

Hi all :rolleyes:

1st topic in this forum! I'm a newbye of WHS and I've just installed in it in a VM environment along with a Win7 SP1 64bit Enterprise virtual machine, just for testing purposes.

Everything has gone fine with WHS and Win7 machine so far in testing: backup, shared folders, users accounts, etc. etc.

But now I have some questions and doubts:

1) from the Win7 connector program I just can gain access to the shared folders and to the console interface of WHS, but I canNOT lauch _ANY_ other program (if it doesn't work as an add-in for the console itself, I get the idea rightly)... How can I have other programs be controlled via the Win7 comp connector?

What if - i.e. - I want a download manager working on the WHS and I want to check how things are going fron the Win7 comp? Of What if I want to work with a scheduler .. something else? :unsure:

2) the WHS box (when it will be phisically placed in my home network) will be always on? How can I control remotely the wake on or the shutdown? ... I'm not sure about that question but probably I don't want the WHS always on ...

thanks to all ! :-)

You can also gain access to the server through RDP. This takes you to the desktop of the server, as if you were setting in front of it.

You can get to most management tasks (control panel) with the WHS Admin add -in. There is also an add-in called program launcher where you can launch programs from within the console.

Hi all :rolleyes:

1st topic in this forum! I'm a newbye of WHS and I've just installed in it in a VM environment along with a Win7 SP1 64bit Enterprise virtual machine, just for testing purposes.

Everything has gone fine with WHS and Win7 machine so far in testing: backup, shared folders, users accounts, etc. etc.

But now I have some questions and doubts:

1) from the Win7 connector program I just can gain access to the shared folders and to the console interface of WHS, but I canNOT lauch _ANY_ other program (if it doesn't work as an add-in for the console itself, I get the idea rightly)... How can I have other programs be controlled via the Win7 comp connector?

What if - i.e. - I want a download manager working on the WHS and I want to check how things are going fron the Win7 comp? Of What if I want to work with a scheduler .. something else? :unsure:

2) the WHS box (when it will be phisically placed in my home network) will be always on? How can I control remotely the wake on or the shutdown? ... I'm not sure about that question but probably I don't want the WHS always on ...

Welcome and thanks for your first post. WHS is intended to be an always on "appliance" that stores you files as well as backs up your systems nightly. The connector software is really only for the WHS and does not launch any apps at all. It does allow for a quick access to your shared folders, provides you with status (green, yellow, or red) of your network and most importantly handles your backups. It also handles launching the console. If an application is a true WHS app, it will be available from the console however if you are installing something that was not really intended to be on WHS, it will not show up and you will have use remote desktop to access it. This method is not really recommended on WHS V1 as you are better off staying with WHS compliant apps. Not so much because of the way you access it but rather compliance to work with DE (Drive Extender).

You are better and safer thinking of WHS as device for "centralized" storage and backups which are the most important aspects of the software.

I have my WHS turn off after 10 minutes of inactivity. Of course it will start up automatically to perform the backups nightly, and I have all my music (and movies) stored on the server so as soon as my streaming devices are turned on the server is woken up too (I use Logitech Squeezeboxes for audio streaming and have an Asus media player hooked up to my TV).

To check the inactivity, I use the LightsOut Addin - I really love it as it allows me to specify exactly which devices should be monitored for activity. You can also perform multiple backups per day if you like, and even shutdown/suspend PC's if they're running.

Edited by DutchWHS