RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

wake printer?

jpap33

Hello everyone!

I was curious if anyone knew if it was possible to wake a printer connected to the 495? I have a printer connected via usb and I don't print to often and try to conserve energy by keeping my printer off. Its always a pain to run down to the basement and turn it on then run back up and print....etc.

Just curious if anyone has any experience with this or if its possible?

Thanks guys! (and ladies)

Joe

I can't think of any easy way to do that, unfortunately. Have you taken a meter to see how much power it is using at idle?

Could you tell us what brand/model printer you are using? I have an HP Photosmart inkjet printer that is connected to a computer as a shared printer. The printer is always off and wakes when someone sends a print job.

@jpap33 - A quick search on Canon's website indicates that your model printer can not be turned on/off remotely. However, there is a Standby mode. The Canon specs say your printer uses 2.5W Standby and 1.0W when OFF. You could just leave the printer in standby. In 1 year you would only increase your electricity bill about $1.30.

Well....thanks for that info. Guess I was a lazy researcher. 1.30$? Hmmmm I'm shocked its that little but I trust ya. Thanks for that....printer is staying on!

I even got this cool app on my iphone that lets me print remotely (even off 3g to it..) Called WePrint.

Thanks again for the forum help!

Joe

I did my math 2x but I still could be wrong.

Off = 1.0W (parasitic device is always stealing some power)
Standby = 2.5W
Difference = 1.5W
1.5W x 8760 hours in 1 year = 13140 watt - hours / year or 13.14 Kw-hours
13.14 Kw-hours x $0.10 / KW-hr = $1.314 /year.

So, it looks like it will only cost you an extra $1.31 / year if your power costs the same as mine.