RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Cloudberry/S3 vs Keepvault

pcdoc

As Dave announced in the recent show, Keep vault and Cloudberry have new beta add-ins for WHS 2011. Just prior to finding out that Keepvault had released theirs, I grew impatient and tried the Cloudberry app as well as a trial version of the Amazon S3 service. Let me start by saying I have been using Keepvault for over a year now and have been a loyal fan. That said, I am pretty sure I will not be using it much longer and will switch to Cloudberry. Why you ask? In a word flexibility. Don’t get me wrong Keepvault is a great product and it works flawlessly and is super easy to setup. Had I not tried Cloudberry I would have stayed with Keepvault and would love their add-in. I tried to list the pros and cons below as it really is decided by what you want to do and what features are important to you. In addition, I have not yet figured out their costing but so far it appears that S3 is much cheaper for me in how I use it. My bill for March was $0.19 and $0.25 February but I am sure that will go up but I doubt it will go up to the $9.99 I am paying Keepvault. In summary, I think that if I had to pick the single biggest thing is that I have about 30 gigs I am trying to delete from Keepvault from an old backup set and it was a frustrating experience and it was something I could do in Cloudberry/S3 in 5 seconds because of their web access. Both are stable add-ins but you have to decide which works for you but for me, I think I am a new believer.

Keepvault

Pros

• Super easy to setup

• Add in and service from the same company

• Local Backup option

Cons

• No customizing options, folder lever protection only with little customizing

• No direct web access to you data

• Cost. Pricing is a bit high compared to S3

• Modifying, or deleting a backup set is at the absolute best difficult if not impossible and requires either removing and re-installing the software, picking the older backup set, and then deleting the files you do not want, or contacting their tech support and request that a deletion be done.

Cloudberry

Pros

• Very, very flexible and allows for file level backup as well as file type filters and specific sub folders.

• Cost “seems” lower at this time.

• Nice web interface to access your file in case your server or PC is not accessible.

• Faster and you can schedule your backups when you want

Cons

• Much more difficult to setup initially. Software itself is pretty straightforward until you get to the cloud storage section and the S3 service is a bit convoluted to setup difficult setup.

• No real time storage (may not be a con depending)

Hello pcdoc

Thank you for using the beta of KeepVault Online Backup v4, and the nice review of the two services. We're always interested to hear what our users have to say about our service, it helps us stay on our game!

I wanted to let you know that the slow file deletion issue will be resolved in our next public beta of KeepVault v4 in a few weeks. We really do listen! :-)

Also, we do already offer web access to files for KeepVault Pro & Business users. Please feel free to contact me directly and we can review your storage needs, $/month etc and make sure you have what you need to feel comfortable using KeepVault.

Cheers!

Dan Reynolds

Director - Sales and Marketing | Proxure Inc.

Dan,

Welcome and thanks for joining our forums. It's great to hear directly from service providers especially when they discuss information about the changes that are coming. It's great to see our community actually has a voice and the companies are listening.

Thanks for the information!

Hello pcdoc

Thank you for using the beta of KeepVault Online Backup v4, and the nice review of the two services. We're always interested to hear what our users have to say about our service, it helps us stay on our game!

I wanted to let you know that the slow file deletion issue will be resolved in our next public beta of KeepVault v4 in a few weeks. We really do listen! :-)

Also, we do already offer web access to files for KeepVault Pro & Business users. Please feel free to contact me directly and we can review your storage needs, $/month etc and make sure you have what you need to feel comfortable using KeepVault.

Cheers!

Dan Reynolds

Director - Sales and Marketing | Proxure Inc.

Thanks Dan,

Glad to hear about the file deletion solution. I believe that many others will be too. The fact you repsonded so quickly proves to me you guys are listening. I will be glad to contact you in terms of storage review to see if there are options, however the last time I looked your pro and business plans where way to expensive for modest home use just to gain web access. I would suggest to the team at Keepvault you consider giving some basic web access (at least for restore and deletions) to your home plan users as well as possibly more tiers in your storage plan as it may attract more users. As you extract out critical data, many people do not have 40 gigs so do do buy it and look for alternate ways. Possibly adding a pay for storage model on your lower tears may be more inticing to home users. I have not caneled so I look forward to your next beta and plan on running both services until WHS goes RTM so I will be glad review all the upcoming changes. Thanks for taking the time to let users of this forum know you guys are out there listening.

Mike

I've been a long time user of CB (2 years+) and been generally very happy. Good product with the usual growing pains like what PCDOC experienced with deleting old versions. Must say that I've found it the fastest as NO bandwidth throttling takes place as I recently discovered when I tried CrashPlan. For those backed-up files that are simply uploaded and are not subsequently updated Amazon S3 service is pretty cheap and if a user wants even cheaper pricing they can opt for their less redundant storage options saving an additional 33%. For comparison I been transferring upwards of 100 gigs/month and my billing has been on average < $10/month!

If you don't mind let me throw crash plan into the review. Most of my pro's/con's were taken directly from yours.

Pros

• Super easy to setup

• Local Backup option

• Backup to to other computers that are on your network or a different network.

• Very, very flexible and allows for file level backup as well as file type filters and specific sub folders.

• Cost is lower at this time. I pay less than $4/month for unlimited storage.

• It's not Amazon.

• Real time backups.

Cons

• Not an add-in. Have to RDP to install.

Edited by ImTheTypeOfGuy

If you don't mind let me throw crash plan into the review. Most of my pro's/con's were taken directly from yours.

Pros

• Super easy to setup

• Local Backup option

• Backup to to other computers that are on your network or a different network.

• Cost is lower at this time. I pay less than $4/month for unlimited storage.

• It's not Amazon.

• Real time backups.

Cons

Is Crashplan an actual addin or do you have to RDP to install?

Is Crashplan an actual addin or do you have to RDP to install?

It is not an add-in so I added that as a con.

Update to my previous post on the comparison.

After speaking with Dan from Proxure (KeepVault), I had a chance to sample the web access and sub accounts features that are availble in the pro accounts and they are exactly what the doctor ordered, especially the web access. It gave me the feautres I was after except for file deletions from the web. Proxure made it a point to really help me in proper evaluation of their product and I must say that I was not only impreessed with the pro version of their product but with their customer service as well. Adding the web access and some way of creaming an older backup set is key to what the pro package offers, but what remains to be seen is how or if they will enhance the existing package with a few of these features to make it even more compeling as the pro package may not be suited for everyone. Time will tell what Proxure does, but I am optimistic that things will continue to get better as they increase the feature set. The one thing I walked away with is that there is no doubt that they do listen to customers and obviously this forum so lets hear your thoughts...