RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Home Network Problem

Kman

I have been having some problems when trying to connect and or ping via hostname.

I am using a DIR-655 D-link router, Cable Modem, I also have my router connect to a 2nd D-Link switch in order to give me enough ports for all equipment.

All equipment is hardwired to the ports

Now if I ping my WHSv1 and or WHS2011 it seems to ping out onto the internet something. It does work if I disconnect the wire from my router to the modem.

Now I can fix the problem by putting both servers ip address into the host file but this is still a problem as today when I needed to perform a restore for one of the PC's I had to disconnect the modem in order for the restore disc to find my WHSv1 for the restore files.

On the router I have the following settings that may or may not be part of the problem

Enable DHCP Server: On

DHCP IP Address Range: 192.168.168.***

NetBIOS announcement: On (I used to have this off and tried it on still no change)

NetBios node Type: Mixed-mode

Primary WINS IP: 0.0.0.0

Enable SPI: on

Enable anti-spoof Checking: On

If anyone has any suggestions on how to fix this?

I don't know what to tell you unless it is something in the modem doing it. I have the exact same router and I also use a DLink switch for additional hard ports.

I can ping my WHSv1 internally using it's name or internal IP address.

I can also ping my server by using my MYSERVER.homeserver.com name. Now, I have my router configured for port fowarding so I can use remote access on the server. Are you also able to remote access your WHS?

If you are using a secondary switch, I would connect the router directly to the switch and then make all client connections from the switch. Power down everything and make those changes. Power up the modem>wait>then the router>wait>then the switch. You can then start powering up clients.

This may help. If not, run tracert as NoControl said.

From any machine on the network to any other the command would be:

tracert hostname (from a command prompt) you can also use IP Address. On your network you should not see more than two hops.

Well got it working was running some old firmware and seems after loading the new one things seem to be better. Mind you it also reset all my settings but i'm guessing for me that was a good thing

Thanks all for your suggestions seems I was pointed somehow to some place in LA and it's funny as i'm in canada with my server sitting in the same room B)

Guest no-control

I was pointed somehow to some place in LA and it's funny as i'm in canada with my server sitting in the same room B)

blink.gif

If you are using a secondary switch, I would connect the router directly to the switch and then make all client connections from the switch. Power down everything and make those changes. Power up the modem>wait>then the router>wait>then the switch. You can then start powering up clients.

This may help. If not, run tracert as NoControl said.

From any machine on the network to any other the command would be:

tracert hostname (from a command prompt) you can also use IP Address. On your network you should not see more than two hops.

Curious (because I am a novice). How do I tell how many hops? Is each <1 a hop?

Curious (because I am a novice). How do I tell how many hops? Is each <1 a hop?

for every hop is shows one line sometimes it does not show the ip address and sometimes a hop does not even show a time but at least you know

for every hop is shows one line sometimes it does not show the ip address and sometimes a hop does not even show a time but at least you know

OK, I see now. I tried it using Google.com and now I see the multiple lines for each hop. When I was doing it inside my network there was only 1 line so I wasn't sure what I was seeing. Thanks.