RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

StableBit DrivePool discussion regarding the use of 3TB drives

tinkererguy

Hey all, figured you might appreciate a read of this conversation with Alex, over at Covecube's rather handsome site:

http://stablebit.com/Contact/25266

Was hoping to invest in 3TB drives for upcoming new purchases for storage for WHS 2011 (not for the boot drive), and it's just really us "thinking aloud"

Figured others here might also have ideas, or perhaps have already done some testing with WHS 2011 and its handling of external (or even internal) 3TB drives (I frankly don't own one yet, and haven't done my homework yet).

I do have 3TB of PC backups on my WHS v1 box though, and occasionally use robocopy to copy to external affordable RAID array over USB 3, for offsite storage (upstream pipesize, and cost of cloud storage, too high for me to reasonably consider alternatives).

Thoughts?

Edited by tinkererguy

How are others planning on handling of PC backups in WHS2011? (I have 3.5TB in PC backups, on WHS v1)

• 3 weeks later...

What are you backing up to have 3.5TB? The OS? You can still move the data via RoboCopy to any external device with unlimited size. The 2TB restriction is on the built in methods. I'm already looking at some third party tools such as Backup Exec (yea I know its overkill) but it can do anything needed for this application with no restrictions.

What are you backing up to have 3.5TB? The OS? You can still move the data via RoboCopy to any external device with unlimited size. The 2TB restriction is on the built in methods. I'm already looking at some third party tools such as Backup Exec (yea I know its overkill) but it can do anything needed for this application with no restrictions.

Think I'm gonna stick with the RoboCopy method of backing up data. I'll use the built-in backup for the System drive only.