RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Network Device Identification

ImTheTypeOfGuy

When looking at my routers Dynamic DHCP clients, I see several items that I do not recognize or know what they are. Are there any tools to identify these devices?

You can use the MAC ID on a site like this and it should tell you the manufacturer. Sometimes that is easier to then realize what the device is.

On that link, make sure you format the data (ie, XX-XX-XX not XX:XX:XX). Its only the first 3 sets of values from your MAC ID that you need to search too.

You can use the MAC ID on a site like this and it should tell you the manufacturer. Sometimes that is easier to then realize what the device is.

On that link, make sure you format the data (ie, XX-XX-XX not XX:XX:XX). Its only the first 3 sets of values from your MAC ID that you need to search too.

Excellent...thanks for the link. This will make it a lot easier to identify the devices on my network.

Tim

If you are still unsure.....block access by MAC until someone complains.

That probably would be me complaining anyway :blink:

Dynamic DHCP is redundant ;-)

That said, how do you have devices you don't recognize? That's really scary. I'd get on that ASAP.

Thanks for the link. Now to find out what this one is.

Here are the results of your search through the public section of the IEEE Standards OUI database report for 00-14-a5:

00-14-A5 (hex) Gemtek Technology Co., Ltd.0014A5 (base 16) Gemtek Technology Co., Ltd. No. 1 Jen Ai Road Hsinchu Industrial Park Hukou, Hsinchu 303 TAIWAN, REPUBLIC OF CHINA

Your attention is called to the fact that the firms and numbers listed may not always be obvious in product implementation. Some manufacturers subcontract component manufacture and others include registered firms' OUIs in their products.

Dynamic DHCP is redundant ;-)

That said, how do you have devices you don't recognize? That's really scary. I'd get on that ASAP.

Ummm, yeah! I knew I shouldn't have let you guys talk me out of mac filtering on my network. ;)

How many rogue devices do you think you have? What type of encryption is being used? How strong is the key?

How many rogue devices do you think you have? What type of encryption is being used? How strong is the key?

I had four but have widdled it down to one. The three I found where a dlink wireless photo frame, my Samsung TV, and my xbox. I forgot about all three of those. I am hoping the last one, details on it in the post above, is my ps3 or wii. I guess I can ping it and see if I get a response when I cycle the power to each one. I assume that will work.