RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Looking for tough Windows laptops

Rodf

We're in need of a tough Windows laptop. My son, who is on the autism spectrum (high functioning) is brutal with laptops. It is an unfortunate consequence of his autism - he simply cannot remember to pay attention to what he's doing. He will crack or damage in other ways his laptop. He has had to replace his laptop up to twice per year, because he is so careless. No amount of couching, reminding, etc., makes any difference, he still kills his laptop. This has gotten to be ridiculous and expensive, but I don't see how it can be stopped, since he never learns to be careful. 

So, I'm wondering, what are some good, tough Windows laptops? I know that the military has ruggedized laptops that are designed to withstand the battle fields. And they're also quite expensive. We cannot afford something that expensive. I wish we could, but it's just not in our budget. I'm hoping there's something cheaper, that doesn't have to withstand the rigors of the battlefield. 

What sort of spec are you thinking of?

If it doesn't need to be top spec then a Toughbook of an older generation with an SSD dropped in it might do, I've found anything that's at least 2nd gen Core i responds well to swapping a spinner out for an SSD and 8Gb of RAM...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Welcome, that doesn't answer the question as to what spec you need though ;) , is he just using it for web browsing and stuff like that, because if that is the use case I'd be more tempted to look at a tablet in a decent case as that'll open up games from the 'store' of choice, or, if higher requirement games are a thing then maybe a desktop somewhere in the house where it being in a box would mean its not as likely to be broken by simple carelessness..

What tends to break on the laptop? Hinges? Display? Keyboard?

Is a micro-PC/all-in-one out of the question? I'd pair it with some cheap wireless keyboard and mouse then secure the PC and display.