RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Upgrading from N36L to Gen8 & Confused.

MillerJones

A bit of my history I had purchased in the past N36L and N40L when both in my country had cash back deals both served me well for many years.

I was looking at a local charity shop who receives a lot of ex business equipment and they had a few of the Gen 8 systems and a Gen 9 I decided on one of the Gen 8 the price was very good also it included some extras not just the unit itself.

Here is the spec details of the system.

HPE Proliant Microserver G8

8GB RAM Memory [1 stick - hmt41gu7bfr8a-h9]

4x 4TB SAS Drives [ST4000NM0023]

CPU [Xeon E3-1220LV2]

SSD [MTFDDAK120MBB] (VK0120GEFJE)

SAS Controller Card [rmn: hstnm-b022]

It has a battery and drive bay adapter which SSD is in also a bunch of other cables which look like rewiring.

I can post pictures up if required.

I am confused what I need to do to get this thing running it is so different and a proper server.

The old ones it was very easy I added drives to the bays and an SSD up top which had the OS installed on via a usb drive.

I was hoping to use this as a File Server [share Videos/Audio etc around the house and setup for backing up systems also will via vpn torrents]

The rear has details for iLO network settings with username/password (whatever this is)

The last thing how do you know if you have the version which can support the higher TDP CPU? [DPS-200PB-189 A PSU  & CPU cooler has this number on it CT: EDNKB01FS1SL65]

Thanks for the help I expect these types of questions have been answered many times before I apologize if someone has answered everything here in another thread.

Have you tried powering up the server? It looks like you have an HPE P420 RAID controller. You will need to study up on how to configure the RAID controller and the server. It could be helpful to see a pictures of the RAID controller and the cabling attached to it and the SSD.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, schoondoggy said:

Have you tried powering up the server? It looks like you have an HPE P420 RAID controller. You will need to study up on how to configure the RAID controller and the server. It could be helpful to see a pictures of the RAID controller and the cabling attached to it and the SSD.

Here is one showing SSD and partial one of the side the Raid card it looks like is connected using the standard cable which was connected to mboard before.

The SSD looks like it goes to SATA on mboard.

This is how it came I have not changed anything

IMG_20220829_170149.jpg

IMG_20220829_170346.jpg

As the SSD is connected on the system board you will need the BIOS set to B120i and the SSD would need to be configured as a single drive RAID0. The four hard drives would be configured on the P420. You can enter the config utility during POST.

• Like 1