RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Prepare Drives for Disposal

jam3ohio

Guys--

I have a few antique IDE drives that I want to dispose of. The NEWEST is from 2002! How should I prep these for disposal? I want to make sure that the data on these is gone before I get rid of them and suggestions on the best way to wipe these drives would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jim

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• stalni

• jam3ohio

• ikon

• JediTim

Guys--

I have a few antique IDE drives that I want to dispose of. The NEWEST is from 2002! How should I prep these for disposal? I want to make sure that the data on these is gone before I get rid of them and suggestions on the best way to wipe these drives would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jim

Wow...those are old drives. Are you even able to access the data on them?

You would need to overwrite the data on the drives to ensure everything is unrecovable...I searched Google and found How to Permanently Delete Data from Your Hard Drive...it shows different levels of erasing a drive.

You could also just hit it with a hammer a couple of times or drill a hole into the drive...probably be quicker :)

Wow...those are old drives. Are you even able to access the data on them?

You would need to overwrite the data on the drives to ensure everything is unrecovable...I searched Google and found How to Permanently Delete Data from Your Hard Drive...it shows different levels of erasing a drive.

You could also just hit it with a hammer a couple of times or drill a hole into the drive...probably be quicker :)

Believe it or not, these drives were in my Pentium 4 desktop in production until July of 2010 so there is some data on them. I loaded them into an ide enclosure and have my data. Thanks for the link!

Jim

Believe it or not, these drives were in my Pentium 4 desktop in production until July of 2010 so there is some data on them. I loaded them into an ide enclosure and have my data. Thanks for the link!

Jim

Or another method: Use BitLocker or TrueCrypt to encrypt the drives, then delete the encryption keys.

There is a program our ADPE people use for a DOD secure erase and I forget the name of it but search those terms and you will find it.

If all else fails......sledgehammer.

Guest no-control

This is the preferred method of disposal

But a nice fire works well too.

Or if you're not into destruction have someone else do it. Just run DBAN on it and take it to an e-waste disposal.

Guys--

Thanks,

Jim

The program we use is DBAN - Darik's Boot And Nuke: http://www.dban.org/download

There is a program our ADPE people use for a DOD secure erase and I forget the name of it but search those terms and you will find it.

If all else fails......sledgehammer.

I've actually read, that hard drives are remarkably resistant to physical damage..

I've actually read, that hard drives are remarkably resistant to physical damage..

I tried to destroy a drive several years ago and think I broke a tool trying to open it up. No doubt it is tough to destroy but only when you want to destroy it.

This is the preferred method of disposal

But a nice fire works well too.

Or if you're not into destruction have someone else do it. Just run DBAN on it and take it to an e-waste disposal.

Nearly fell out of my chair laughing at this one! Is that real or a game accessory? I think I smell a blog post if the latter. :D

DBAN it is then. Thanks for all the good suggestions.

Jim