RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

WHS1 back-ups copied to WHS 2011

Dude

Been listening to your excellent podcasts on WHS2011, and must admit I am really starting to warm to the idea of upgrading.

My question is what about all my back-ups. Is it possible to bring across my WHSV1 back-ups onto a new WHS2011 to preserve these and restore files that where stored on WHS1 to my client machines in the future if I need to?

You can use DBBB to copy and save you backups to your new server and they will be available via the "old" recover CD is you should need them however 2011 will create news going forward. Also, you will not be able to (I think) access them from the console. Haved not tried that yet.

I don't think that is going to be doable. One way that you could keep your old backups would be to put your WHS1 into a VM that you can pull up at some point to restore from if you really need to:

1/ Migrate all of the data to WHS2011, so all that remains is the backups

2/ Clean up as much data as possible

3/ Convert a physically machine to a VM image

4/ Setup your WHS2011 machine as a VM host with the ability to load the WHS1 image when you need it, but not running all the time.

• 1 month later...

You can use DBBB to copy and save you backups to your new server and they will be available via the "old" recover CD is you should need them however 2011 will create news going forward. Also, you will not be able to (I think) access them from the console. Haved not tried that yet.

pcdoc (or anybody else) have you tried this yet? I'm planning my WHS2011 migration. I have enough HDDs to backup and move all my data, so that's not a problem. But I do have a number of PC backups that I don't want to lose.

Not sure what "however 2011 will create news going forward" means...

From the MediaSmartServer.Net Wiki

"BDBB" is an Add-In for the Microsoft Windows Home Server Operating System that was developed by Alex Kuretz of MediaSmartServer.net.

WHS BDBB is designed to allow the user to easily create and restore a backup of the Backup Database created by Windows Home Server, which contains the backups of all Client PC's in the home.

In short, you have a database of client backups created in an x86 environment by an Add-In that when copied to a x64 Server will also need the new Add-in to be able to access the old client backups. I don't think it will work. It all depends on how the code was written and how much backward compatibility there is.

Going forward means the WHS 2011 installation will have its own database of client backups.

I don't think it will work. It all depends on how the code was written and how much backward compatibility there is.

I don't think it will work either, but I'm wondering if anybody has tried it. If nobody has, I will test it when the rest of my components arrive for the new server. If it doesn't work, I'll do a convoluted series of restores and backups to transfer them.