RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

How to upgrade Mobo and cpu

CablDeViL

Just a quick question. I am thinking of handing down my games computer's motherboard, cpu and men to my home server. I do NOT want to loose my data on my 4 TB. Is there a way for me to do this. When I do a upgrade I always do a fresh install but im somewhat gun shy. Any advice.

I was thinking of even going the hp route but I want the cpu power and 8 internal Sata.

Thank you as always. Sorry I dont have much time to help others on the board, it is just a busy time. PS im having my 1st child! so if anyone can help get the baby's bedroom and bathroom painted feel free to email me hahaha

You better get your upgrades done quick. Once that baby arrives you won't have time for computer upgrades for a little while!

Congratulations on the 1st child! I hope everything goes well during delivery for mom, baby and of course dad!

Congrats on your new baby... As for the upgrade, the answer is yes you can. You can simply upgrade the motherboar and CPU and then boot to see if WHS will re-detect your new hardware. If it is in the same family it should but most likely will not if the hardware is very differnt. If it will not boot, just load the CD and do "REINSTALL", not a clean install and will recreate the OS and re-detect your data. You will only loose the add-ins and user profiles which can be easily re-created. Again, only do a SERVER REINSTALL or else you WILL loose your data. I have done about 3 upgrades like this and had no issues. Good luck!

To be safe, you should always have your data in 2 places. Either 1 copy on the PC and 1 copy on the server or turn on folder duplicated. I prefer to not use Folder Duplication but Shares Backup. This way you can always remove the drive from the server and only put it in when you do a backup of the shares. This allows you to take your backup offsite as a disaster recovery or not. Also if you use the Folder Duplication, it does not protect you from deleting data because what's deleted on 1 drive will be deleted on the 2nd drive. If you use Folder Duplication on all folders then it reduces your storage space in 1/2 it only protects you from a bad drive and it keeps the duplication of files up to date. If you use Shares Backup you can use an external USB drive if all your bays are full
and that will allow you to take it off site. Shares backup is done manually so you must remember to keep data updated. I do a shares backup before I restore the server and then remove the drive from the server.

You will have a lot of baby pictures you do not want to lose. Congrats.

John (homeservershow).

Thank you all. My life is getting more busy now =)

I have my 2 tera in movies and i have it duplicated. I should copy it back to my games PC (think i have enough room) just as a back up. I think I have to make sure each drive is connected to the same sata port when i switch mother boards. Thanks for the advice. I will make a how to or a what I learned on a Sat night post.

Guest no-control

3 points

1. I would turn off dupe for now and use the space for share backup (like John suggested) while you're doing the swap. the add the drives back in once you have it all up and running. Plan B (slow) here would be to offload one or two of the drives and put them in the other PC then do a network transfer. It'll take awhile but...it works

2. You now have a child and there are things you will want to document and never lose. I have pics and vids backed up on the server w/ duplication. I have a 1tb external HDD with the same data that I have the grandpa bring each time he visits that I update. About every 2 weeks. I also have cloud storage in the form of a dropbox account. The hyperlinking to the baby pics folder alone is worth the money. If you lose any of this data. Don't come home...your wife doesn't want to hear it....TRUST ME!

3. Congrats on the baby our little girl arrived back in april of last year. My advise is time management...Learn the art of the 30min power nap...If your having a tough time have her pinch hit for ya for an hour so you can collect yourself...you'll both find days that you just can't deal with it, its ok that's what grandparents are for...Date night is crucial! minimum once a month after the first six weeks...plan ahead, everything will now take 3x as long...its cool to get all emotional when baby is born...that is all sir, good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

No-control,

Thank You very much for all the WHS and life advice! Love this Forum and the people on it (in a geek way =) and the great info I get and can give at times.

Back to work before my boss sees me not coding rofl

I am thinking of doing the same thing as CablDeVil (that is upgrading my mobo and processor, not having another baby, 1 8yr old girl is just fine thanks)

I am sure i read somewhere that the licence for WHS is somehow 'bound' to the mobo, is that wrong, as it sounds like some of you guys have done this plenty of times? and if it is wrong i would love for someone to take all my pain and deliberations away and tell me exactly what mobo and processor to get. PLEASE.

Remember the boy scout motto 'Be prepared' well you never can be for your first born, just a brilliant time.

2 months before my daughter was due to be born my wife suggested a new bathroom, so i got it underway 2 WEEKS later our daughter came along, luckily my wife and daughter had to spend 10 days in hospital which gave me just enought time to refit the bathroom.

Good luck

Pinktulip,

Thanks for the advice - I have till July so I think we should be done before March is over and its time for me to race again (umm yea I race in circles).

I never thought about the WHS licence, Like to know if that is true. I purchased this copy and I also have a technet sub so I should be ok if fails. Wondering if this is true or not.

Anyone have some experience with this