RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

PCMCIA ssd drives

jvk

I have a Sony VAIO TX laptop that is probably a little over 2 years old. I think the hard drive is starting to go so I looked into replacing it with a ssd drive. Turns out that the drive in the laptop is a 1.8 inch drive (or some size there abouts). The laptop also has a PCMCIA slot and based on my limited research, a PCMCIA ssd drive would be cheaper. Here is the question... Can the laptop use a PCMCIA drive and boot from it?

Thanks jvk

I'm not sure about the booting question, but I'd be careful about what sort of speed you can expect from PCMCIA. I can't recall what the specific rate is, but I seem to remember it not being particularly performant...

I've got an ExpressCard external drive at work and it's bottlenecked at ATA100 speeds (as opposed to SATA) since that's how it seems to be connected internally.

If you can find the data, it might be worth checking out how it's wired up before you spend cash on an SSD...

Holy crap they are cheaper than when I looked last. I think replacing the 1.8" drive is the way to go. Thanks!

Now to perform open heart surgery on my laptop as outlined here

thanks

jvk

Edited by jvk

A SSD drive is probably the quickest way to speed the performance of a laptop and the prices have consistently been dropping. Definitely the way to go for a boot drive of any computer now. I installed one in my HTPC and not only does it start really fast it is almost silent now.