RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

How To: Videos for SBS 2011

diehard

I watched all of these. I learned a couple of things and I wish that some of the features in SBS Essentials was in WHS such as the user folders and the domain creation and the ability to reset the passwords.

Thanks Diehard for the information. I watch the videos after this post. I am planning to upgrade my church's WHS v1 to SBS 2011 Essentials. It will help me maintain their 6 Windows 7 Pro computer network (and growing to past 10 computers).

Does SBS 2011 Essentials have Active Directory? If I was not mistake that is one of the differences between WHS 2011 and SBS 2011 Essentials.

• 3 weeks later...

What does WHS have that SBS not have. I am ok to pay more for SBS, but I do not want to lose the media functionality.

I hope msft did not pull a windows media center xp on us. I had to wait for vista, since I could not use media center on professional.

SBS is more focused around an office environment, while WHS is more around home and home entertainment.

Both have:

Client Backup, Server Backup

File sharing

Remote access

Network health monitoring

SBS-E has:

Domain Controller (with some restrictions compared to SBS standard or a normal Server 2008R2 DC)

DNS Server (mostly just a requirement of the domain controller)

Different set of default folders

WHS has:

Media Streaming - Windows Media Connect (inside network)

Media Streaming - Silverlight player on RWA site (outside network)

Homegroup

SBS does not have any media streaming functionality, while WHS has much more limited management capability. I know that when you install the SBS connector, it prompts to redirect folders to the server and move your local profile. I am not certain if WHS does the same thing or not, does anyone else know?