RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Print and Document Services

jvk

So I'm continuing on in testing WHS 2011 and I really want to be able to network share my scanner. I have an HP C4380 all-in-one and I have it hooked up to my WHS since it is always on. The bummer is that I can not share the document imaging features like the synology products can. I notice that there is a server role called "Printer and Document Services" and clicking thru the add role wizard I noticed that there is an option "Distributed Scan Server", which appears to be just what I need to be able to share my scanner across my home network. Un-fortunately I can not add that feature since the server is not part of a domain (and will not be in the future). Does anyone know if there is a way around this? If so, will it allow me to share the scanner?

whsprint.png

Thanks

jvk

Sounds like you need add in document manager to handle the service. Thanks for sharing.

Guest no-control

Not gonna happen the Distributed Scan Service is for Web Services on Devices enabled networking scanners. Pretty sure the little HP there isn't going to work since it does not support TCP/IP devices.

BTW you get the A+ pin for test the hell out of server 2011!

Edited by no-control

I have a brother all in one that can be hooked up via LAN or wireless. I can scan over the network and use digital archound addin to handle the dirty work.

I have a brother all in one that can be hooked up via LAN or wireless. I can scan over the network and use digital archound addin to handle the dirty work.

My HP all in one is wi-fi enabled and it is "capable" of scanning over the network, but it always drops off the network never to be found again and the software that comes with it is about as bad as they come. Overall the built in network features are pretty much un-usuable.

jvk

I would try and use any embedded Windows software you can. If the device will install to the server, you should be able to share it out via the conventional method:

\\servername\sharename