RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

How to best start a ripped DVD collection

TeamStream

HSS Team, I'm trying to set up a home network with media server from the ground up. Starting with DVD ripping, what is the best software for ripping/transcoding a large library with the least amount of effort, most robust decryption? I started using the trial of AnyDVD but, as far as I can tell, it won't let me do the DVD image copy AND the MP4 with one mouse click.

Any pointers?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ImTheTypeOfGuy

• ikon

• JediTim

• Lurker

I'm no media expert.

I use the My Movies add-in which uses AnyDVD and an external USB DVD drive connected to my Ex495.

I have it set to create both a Video TS and a MPEG file.

I don't know if this will suite your needs but, it works fine for me.

I just pop the DVD in the external drive and it ejects when the copy has completed. Usually about 30 minutes for both the Video TS and MPEG.

Edited by CBick

I am not aware of anything (yet) that will do both but if you find something let us know. I just use AnyDVD HD along with my favorite ripper. To convert to MP4 I use Pavtube to batch process several movies at once as I want the control.

I'm no media expert.

I use the My Movies add-in which uses AnyDVD and an external USB DVD drive connected to my Ex495.

I have it set to create both a Video TS and a MPEG file.

I don't know if this will suite your needs but, it works fine for me.

I just pop the DVD in the external drive and it ejects when the copy has completed. Usually about 30 minutes for both the Video TS and MPEG.

How do you set up folders and mpeg in one rip?

I like getting the DVD and BD disks down to just the video files. I go through a two step process. I use MakeMKV to ripe the films (it has only failed on a couple of disks) to MKVs and then I use handbrake to format them for different devices (Phone, Nook Color, PS3).

How do you set up folders and mpeg in one rip?

Under the settings tab MyMovies Disk Copy, you have the option to set for TS Folder, ISO, MPEG, or TS Folder & MPEG

Default is TS Folder but, I found that they would not play on the WD Live that I have in my sons room.

Thats when I changed the setting to TS & MPEG. takes up more server space but I can copy the MPEG's to an external hard drive and connect to the WD Live in my sons room.

by the way I did go ahead and purchase 1500 points from my movies to unlock all of (At That Time) the features so, this feature may be locked down if you don't have enough points.

Edited by CBick

Under the settings tab MyMovies Disk Copy, you have the option to set for TS Folder, ISO, MPEG, or TS Folder & MPEG

Default is TS Folder but, I found that they would not play on the WD Live that I have in my sons room.

Thats when I changed the setting to TS & MPEG. takes up more server space but I can copy the MPEG's to an external hard drive and connect to the WD Live in my sons room.

by the way I did go ahead and purchase 1500 points from my movies to unlock all of (At That Time) the features so, this feature may be locked down if you don't have enough points.

Thanks for the tips. I've just started looking into My Movies and it looks pretty sweet. Based on the comments though, looks like MPEG-2 is the only option. MP4 would be great and easily do-able with CloneDVD Mobile for select movies for iOS viewing.

Thanks for the tips. I've just started looking into My Movies and it looks pretty sweet. Based on the comments though, looks like MPEG-2 is the only option. MP4 would be great and easily do-able with CloneDVD Mobile for select movies for iOS viewing.

I have been using AnyDVD HD along with MyMovies for a couple of years and love the ease of use with WHS. It is even easy for my wife and 9 year old to use that I don't need to be there for them to start a movie. I only rip to TS Folders (DVD) and ISO (BluRay). If I need anything else I use CloneDVD Mobil.

Tim

Here is my workflow for backup copies of DVDs. I have not ripped any Blu Rays yet. I have looked into it but I have not taken the time to actually do it and I have read that there are a lot of hurdles to overcome software wise.

1. Any DVD for decryption

2. Handbrake for trans-coding.(MP4)

3. Meta X for windows for meta data.

4. Yammm for additonal meta data for Windows Media Center and My Movies however I do not use My Movies.

Here is my workflow for backup copies of DVDs. I have not ripped any Blu Rays yet. I have looked into it but I have not taken the time to actually do it and I have read that there are a lot of hurdles to overcome software wise.

1. Any DVD for decryption

2. Handbrake for trans-coding.(MP4)

3. Meta X for windows for meta data.

4. Yammm for additonal meta data for Windows Media Center and My Movies however I do not use My Movies.

I use AnyDVD HD for backing up BluRay movies with MyMovies on my WHS V1...no huurdles I'm aware of. I place the disk in the BluRay drive and a little while later the disk is copied...works just like a regular DVD except it takes up quite a bit more space.