• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• diehard

• Citezein

• Octavean

• pcdoc

pcdoc,
your right, only 2 sata connectors on board. But I believe there is a PCI slot and that is how Tranquil adds the 3 additional drives. Someone had posted on the Tranquil site that in the Console under the Stoarge Tab, it would say 2 internal drives and 3 external. That was because there are 2 different interfaces.

I'm thinking that if a company like Tranquil with a decent product line is choosing the D510, then that's a board to consider. Of course if you want a little more oompf it's great to have other choices.

John (homeservershow).

Newegg has a good price on the new Core i3 530 chip and an ASUS micro-ATX motherboard for $214:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.323340

That seems reasonable to me, but then I'd have to add $45 for RAM and ?? for a case. That's probably $350 total since I have the hard drives and WHS software already. The benefit of this is a tremendous amount flexibility.

They also offer a Pentium G6950 + Gigabyte mATX board for just $175:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.320158

I'm encouraged by a review on the Gigabyte mATX board that states a core i3 540 system with that board only uses 30 watts at idle. My P4 uses around 115 at idle, so that would be plenty of power savings for me.

Assuming I go with the i3 530 or the G6950 and the Gigabyte board, the case and power supply are then the issue. I've seen a few recommendations here already. The Silverstone SG03-B looks to be the perfect size, but is $109 without a power supply. Ouch.

I was considering a Core i3 530 and H55 based system too but that was to replace an aging HP m1070n P4 based dedicated Media Center system (about 2004 makes it roughly 6 yr old). So I was looking into it myself.

If I buy I

Guest no-control

zotac mobos are actually pretty reliable. I just recently sold my ITX HTPC that had a zotac mobo. I had no issues or complaints with the unit, very solid considering the heat from an underventilated tight case.

Thanks for the help everyone. I think I'm going to wait a few weeks to see if the prices come down on components. But right now I'm looking to build an i3 or Pentium G6950 micro-ATX system using my current ATX case (Antec Sonata). This gets me a new system with a ton of power available to it for about $230.

I'm also thinking of building a similar HTPC in a few months and will likely go a similar route, but that will certainly require a new case.