RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Time to pull the plug on WHS11? But, what are the real replacement options?

dean.xs

I am wondering if it is time to move on from WHS11.  I've been running a file server / Plex on WHS11 since it was released, and used WHS before that.  Its been solid.

But, the OS is now EOL and security updates will stop.  So, it is time to think about moving OS.

I use the server as a general file / media server and for Plex.  I want to reuse the hardware (i3-3220) and 28tb drives (NTFS).  Which, after a drive tidy, I have freed around 50%.  The drives are all NTFS drives.  Obviously I want to keep my media / files (14tb).  And, I want to migrate my Plex database (history, playlists etc).

Given the above, what is the recommended route and suggestions re a new OS?  I am thinking of a few options:

1. a newer version of Windows Server (2016/2019 ) - but there is a significant cost for this
  2. Windows 10 (familiarity)
  3. Open Media Vault (have used, but Plex installed via Docker)
  4. unRaid / FreeNas / FreeBSD
  5. Or, just keep WHS for a year or so longer?

I assume lots of ex-WHS users have been though this.  Whats the least painful route, allowing to reuse hardware and reusing drives?

All thoughts / ideas welcome.

what is your exposure for the lack of updates? do you access it from the internet? does it go on the internet as part of its daily life?

Thank you.  And, a good question.

Generally as a server its not on line / on the internet, and remote web access to the server (WHS) is not enabled.  However, we do have / use remote access to Plex.  So, technically there is access to the box via Plex remote access.

regardless of the os you would still have a dependency on plex's security, have you considered just leaving well enough alone?

Yes - I have considered just leaving alone.  That has been my approach all along.

To add - I know Plex support on Windows Server 2008, Vista, XP has ceased already.  WHS 2011 seems to getting updates still, but its probably only a matter of time before support for WHS 2011 (or WS 2008 R2) also stops.  At which time, I will need to move.

I went down the Windows 10 route, i can use the 'server' as a spare machine should I ever need it, I run Plex on a VM using the Hyper-V feature and as my box is pretty much just an iTX PC I havent ended up having to buy expensive hardware to make things work..

3 hours ago, dean.xs said:

also stops

so I see your point here. best to be prepared :)

fortunately we live in a world of many hardware/software choices. let the fun begin!

I have moved some of my services to containers and/or VMs and have moved them around between hardware choices with relative ease. in my long term view I would like to limit my use of windows as much as possible, at least for services. My direction is toward RHEL because it aligns with my work and no need to pay M$.

Edited by nrf