RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Trying to upgrade to the New Avast.

katardrax

Hi everyone!

I was trying to update to a newer version. I got one part uninstalled but it is still leaving some remnants of the program in the Installed Programs section. I tried to install the cleanup utility and install the newer version via .exe but I keep getting a "Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access them." I see that as a problem and need help fixing it. I pretty much can't install any program even though I am using the administrator account.

Any suggestions? I know once people start responding, the light bulb will go on.... ;-)

Thanks!

KK

Welcome to Avast. They are notorious for bad installs especailly in WHS. They have a utilty somewhere on their site called a clean up utility that works pretty (better than their install program). Here is the link. Also, search their forums for additional help, you are not alone...

https://support.avast.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=730

Hope that helps.

Thanks! I also figured out the main part of my problem..... "Unblock under properties" This is the key to me getting it fixed!

Thanks!

I used to run Avast, and yes there was a checkie box that had to be deselected to

uninstall. It actually makes sense so malware could't uninstall it. I also figured

it out the hard way.

From what I read, it's better to install the .exe version then the .msi on the server, cleaner install and uninstall, I heard. :blink: