RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Add in - Fire Extinguisher

britishbob

As I work in the industry I was wondering if members have given any thought have given any thought to fire protection for their valuable data and the unit that holds it.

Do you have some form of fire protection?

Have you thought about it?

What would you do if there was a fire in the room that held your home server? (Apart from run around like a chicken with its head cut off and scream a lot)

You have $400 worth of electronics storing invaluable memories....What's your plan?

The only fire protection strategy I have is doing backups of the server and placing the backup drive in a fire-resistant safe. Un-fortunately the safe is in the same room as the server and the server itself is not protected, but at least the data itself should be relatively safe.

I used to work in the Marine industry in college, and boats often came equipped with Halon fire suppression systems. They are capable of extinguishing fires with out water or other liquid (it is a gas), so they can be used around computer equipment with out damaging it or leaving a residue behind. However lately they have been deemed to be environmentally un-friendly. I believe there are other options out there besides Halon the have the same desirable results.

jvk

Reliable and affordable. A safe deposit box plus an external hard drive. Backup your data to the drive and swap drives at least every weeks. We know the Safe Deposit box is tax deductible and the cost of the drive could be too if you work in the business.

Believe it or not I have 3 hard disks that I have data backed up to in rotation every night. I rotate them in and out of 2 different cars. In the morning I take the drive that was backed up during the night and put it in my van. The one in the Van goes to another car. And the one taken out of that car goes back into the house and connects to the computer for backup that evening. Like I have said in the past, "I'm not paranoid about my data, I just think everyone it out to get it."

No protection directly against fire, however:-

Keepvault for everything except Recorded TV & Movie rips.

2 x Quick release backup drives.

My WHS is in the living room therefore any automatic system that "removed" the oxygen might upset the rest of the family a bit sad.gif

No protection directly against fire, however:-

Keepvault for everything except Recorded TV & Movie rips.

2 x Quick release backup drives.

My WHS is in the living room therefore any automatic system that "removed" the oxygen might upset the rest of the family a bit sad.gif

Well hopefully you and the family are long gone before the oxygen scavenger is needed. If not, it may have been too late anyway.

+1

KeepVault for everything except DVD Rips.

If my house burns down I imagine a few DVD rips would be the least of my worries.

As Diehard mentioned, I have considered one of the IOsafes but, havn't quite managed to pull the trigger yet.