RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

What case to get andy why?

Kman

Well I have heard many of your podcasts and though this would be a good place to start getting input for my new home server build.

I would like to look for a new case. I heard you all talk about Lian Li cases and yes they do look good but so many of them I’m also open to any others good build solid case.

My server runs 24/7 and I hope for this build to last 3+ years with very little work once built except for expanding storage of course. hope to get 10+ years from case unless a whole new motherboard / power supply requirements come out that make it hard to still use.

Here are my requirements

Must have a lot of cooling and filters that can be changed without opening case! As it seems my server sits on the floor and seems to get a lot of dust it's a pain to open it once a month blow it out also seems I loose a lot of fans most likely due to dust / cat hair.

Needs to hold 7+ HD (the more the better)

Should run quiet (but this is not a really big factor as there are another 4 pc's in the room)

Nice to have easy access to USB3/eSATA ports just for connecting other HD's for offsite backups

Cost well it would be very nice to get something around $200 but more for the right options again it's going to last for 5+ years at least

Up to now I have mostly used Antec for my cases. I have had a lot of luck with them. the Antec P180 (bought 2005) I really liked as it had easy access to the fan filters but not much room inside the case for cables and other big video cards. This case is still working perfect but has been given to my son for his main box.

The Antec Twelve Hundred Gaming is nice but again you can't access the filters unless you move the hard drive cage out a bit making these means opening up the side and removing thumb screws. This works for this one as it's not on all the time mind you it's a bit too flashy at night for my liking.

So again please let me know some of your ideas pros and cons on the perfect (or as close as we can get) case..

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dvn

• ImTheTypeOfGuy

• pcdoc

• Kman

I was originally going to get a Cooler Master HAF 932 which is $120 on Newegg but after looking around at what oterhs have (pcdoc) i am probably going to go with a Lian Li PC-A70F which is listing for $180. I have used a couple of Lian Li cases previously and liked them...I really like the options offered.

First sorry after my post I noticed a section in the forms for cases

if someone can most my post that would be good

OK I notice that there is Lian Li PC-A70FB and the PC-A70F

whats the B stand for are they the same case?

Also does anyone know if it has any type of screen/ filter in front of the fans? If so how do you change them?

I have the CoolerMaster HAF 912 and I am very pleased with it. Enough room for 5 3.5" drives with a separate cage for 2 2.5" drive and 4 drives bays up front. Nice air flow. A good case at a competitive price.

Has anyone used or seen Antec DF-85

My local place has them onsale and would really like to hear some feedback about this case

As already said I have used many Antec and have been happy but always nice to hear what others have to say

Wouldn't be my first choice simply because the drive bays are mounted forward to back. I prefer the side mount because it's easier to get at the drives.

Thanks for the imput I have also found that there is no dumpers on the hard drive mounts this will be a big problem as over time it will end up full of drives

too bad it was cheep guess I will keep looking not a fan of the coolmaster stuff

Here is my suggestion. If you want the most expandibilty for your money and qaulity, look at these tow below. I have the origianl A70 and have had it for about two years. I am certain I will have it for much longer. I am using it for my WHS 2011 server and presently have 11 dirves in it with room for a couple more. Natively it has room for 10 drives but with a card cage, you add at least 3 more (5 if you get creative). The quality is outstanding and it runs super quiet despite having 5 120mm fans. THe airflow it fantastic and it keeps the drives nice and cool. At $179 it is tough to beat for a server case.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811112243&cm_re=lian-li-_-11-112-243-_-Product

or

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811112244&cm_re=lian-li-_-11-112-244-_-Product

Wouldn't be my first choice simply because the drive bays are mounted forward to back. I prefer the side mount because it's easier to get at the drives.

Interesting. I dislike the side mount because you have to take both side panels off to work with the drives.