RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Upgrading WHS Storage Pool

byronomo

I have an EX475 with 2X500G + 2X1.5TB installed. Additionally i have an external enclosure with 4X2TB (via eSATA).

I know that I shouldn't mess with the system drive (which I believe to be the bottom drive #1---somebody confirm this please)....but if I want to upgrade the other 500GB and put a 2TB drive there, is it as simple as removing the drive using the console (I have 1.9TB Free Space according to the console), removing it physically, then putting a new 2TB in its place and going through the same procedure as adding a new drive as I did when I had empty bays?

While I'm on the topic and looking down the road at additional storage needs, is my only option from here for increasing storage to add another enclosure but using USB this time?

Correct. System drive is bottom bay. And yes, as you said, remove the old 500G drive and add the new 2 TB drive using the Console. The blue indicator light on the bay with the 500 GB drive will flash once the removal process is complete and it's safe to remove.

Storage option: You can replace the system drive, it's just a lot more scary than swapping out a smaller pool drive for a larger. If you were to replace both 500 GB drives with (2) 2 TB's, you'd increase capacity by ~3 TB. Does that work for you? Something to think about.

About the external enclosure, is it part of the pool?

I originally thought you might be able to use something like the 8 bay external enclosures like this one from Sans Digital. However, it looks like you need to use 2 eSATA ports.

Another option (to gain 1 more drive) is 5 Bay external enclosure from Sans Digital. Not sure I would spend that kind of money to gain 1 drive but it is an option.

Storage option: You can replace the system drive, it's just a lot more scary than swapping out a smaller pool drive for a larger. If you were to replace both 500 GB drives with (2) 2 TB's, you'd increase capacity by ~3 TB. Does that work for you? Something to think about.

About the external enclosure, is it part of the pool?

Thanks...this is very helpful....ultimately, I will probably opt NOT to touch the system drive as I would be lost if anything went awry.

3 of the 4 drives in the external enclosure are part of the pool. I am using the remaining 2TB as a backup drive for certain shares.

If I add another USB enclosure, will my performance suffer? Can drives in a USB enclosure integrate seamlessly as part of the pool just like the eSATA enclosure?

I don't think you would be able to use that 8 bay device and add it to the pool. It's a NAS and a pooled drive needs to be physically connected as far as I know. The 4 bay model has an eSATA port so it should be good to go. I may be totally off but that how I know the pooled drive system to work.

I don't think you would be able to use that 8 bay device and add it to the pool. It's a NAS and a pooled drive needs to be physically connected as far as I know. The 4 bay model has an eSATA port so it should be good to go. I may be totally off but that how I know the pooled drive system to work.

My understanding is that it's not a "NAS" per se, but a Drive enclosure that connects via USB (rather than ethernet as in the case of a NAS). That being said, I'm not 100% sure it would work, but after snooping around on various WHS forums it seems like others are using it. From what I've read, there's a strange constraint, however. The device will accommodate up to 8 2TB drives. However, its power supply can only power 6 2TB drives. I've read in several places that you have to upgrade the power supply to get 16TB out of this sucker... For that reason, I'll probably scale back to the TR4U (4 bay) and hope that between now and when I fill that up, something better comes along.

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply.