RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

HTPC Audio Problems

Mike

Hey HSS folks! How are things? I need some help with my HTPC. Ever since I updated my HTPC to Windows 7 SP1, I'm having audio problems when I play a blu-ray disc. My HTPC is connected to an LG HDTV via an HDMI cable. Regular DVDs play just fine. When I play a blu-ray disc and it gets to the main movie, I get a high pitched sound and then it sounds like the HDMI disconnects and I get a static sound. If I switch the audio to track to non HD audio, it seems to sound fine. This seems to have started after I installed WIN-7 SP1. Any ideas? Thanks for the help.

/Mike Biel

I remember that part of SP1 was a change to HDMI so my advice would be to remove SP1 until that issue is resolved. Not much consolation but that's all I know about the subject.

I remember that part of SP1 was a change to HDMI so my advice would be to remove SP1 until that issue is resolved. Not much consolation but that's all I know about the subject.

Hey jmwills. Thanks for your reply. Where did you see documentation on this? I'd like to review for myself. Thanks.

/Mike Biel

what kind of motherboard/sound board are you using. I have not seen this problem on my SP1. It is possible it hosed your audio drivers and you may have to reinstlall your audio drivers especially if you are using third party codecs (the legal virus). Post some specifics on your hardware/software but I am guessing that you now have codec issues.

what kind of motherboard/sound board are you using. I have not seen this problem on my SP1. It is possible it hosed your audio drivers and you may have to reinstlall your audio drivers especially if you are using third party codecs (the legal virus). Post some specifics on your hardware/software but I am guessing that you now have codec issues.

Thanks for replying pcdoc. The HTPC has a ASROCK H55M Pro motherboard with a core i3-530. I'm using the on board HDMI for sound and video. I'll have to investigate the audio drivers closer tomorrow when I have some more time. SP1 may have over written the audio drivers.

/Mike Biel

What codecs are your using? You may have to re-install those as well.

I'm not sure of the codecs at the moment I'll check those tomorrow. I did compare the current audio drivers with the ones that were installed before the SP1 update, and they are different/newer. So I think I'm going to reinstall the mobo's audio drivers tomorrow, and that should fix the problem. Where do I check the codecs at? Thanks again pcdoc.

/Mike Biel

OK I'm getting really pissed with this. I've reinstalled the HD audio drivers/codecs for my ASROCK H55M Pro motherboard and that didn't fix the audio problem. I've removed and reinstalled TMT3, which is what I use to play blu-ray discs, and that didn't fix the issue either. I can play the same blu-ray movie on my laptop, which has been updated to SP1, and it will play and sound fine, but when I play the same blu-ray movie on the HTPC via HDMI to a TV, I have audio problems. I can also play a regular DVD on the HTPC and the audio is fine. It only seems to be an issue with HD audio. Does anyone have any ideas? The only other thing I can think of doing is rolling back from SP1 until this is fixed. Thanks.

/Mike Biel

Reconfigure Your HDMI audio device:

1. Control panel

2. Sound

3. Digital audio (HDMI)

4. Configure for your setup (select configure)

5. Properties for your setup (select properties)

Reconfigure Your HDMI audio device:

1. Control panel

2. Sound

3. Digital audio (HDMI)

4. Configure for your setup (select configure)

5. Properties for your setup (select properties)

Thanks for your reply, but that has all been configured and double checked.

/Mike Biel