RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

HP ProLiant Gen8 Microserver cannot see HDDs

Distorted Vision

Just bought a Gen8 Microserver from eBay. I've installed Windows 2019 Server on a SSD. 

But the 4 HDDs I have in the bays cannot be detected. Do I need to enable something in the BIOS. 

These HDDs are NTFS with data on them. 

I'm concerned about doing something that will cause me to lose data.

have you confirmed that the cable from the drive cage is connected to the motherboard SATA port?

What mode is the controller in?

I'd take your 4 drives with data out and stick a spare drive in, if you have one, then you can have a play in the BIOS with the controller settings without worrying about losing data.

Posted (edited)

SATA AHCI. The seller of the HP ProLiant Gen8 said that it doesn't support HDDs Plug & Play and only RAID. Is this true? It doesn't seem right to me. He's saying it only supports RAID. I put 4 spare HDDs in and tried the RAID Configuration and no HDDs are detected.

image.jpg

Edited by Distorted Vision

The seller is saying my HDDs are not compatible. I have:

Seagate BarraCuda 6 TB (ST6000DM003)

Are these compatible?

The Proliant Gen8 was bought on eBay and Seagate Barracuda HDD was bought on Amazon.

Is the SSD connected to the single SATA port on the system board? Is the cable from the drive bays connected to the system board?

To boot an SSD from the single SATA port and have data drives in the front bays, you need to set the system to B120i not AHCI. You then configure each of the drives in the system to be a single drive RAID0 which will act as a JBOD.

How were you planning to configure the system? Boot from SSD and how did you want the four data drives configured?

1.jpg

2.jpg

I cannot see the HDDs in the RAID configuration tool. Will check when I get home from work if the HDD are spinning.